Conditioning/Clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
I’ve recently packed off a Coopers Cerveza. Approx 18L into a keg and the remainder into 5 x 750ml pet bottles.

I distrupted some of the sediment in the Fermzilla as I attempted a closed transfer, too high a pressure in keg than FV, so a bit of CO2 blowback. I continued any way.

A week on and the bottles have firmed up and cleared really well, but a sample from the keg is still cloudy.

Can I expect the keg to take a few extra weeks to settle and clear?

Not sure what you mean by 'keg'. If its a PB I've not noticed any difference between clearing in a PB and bottles once carbing is finished. But more to the point it's only one week on from packaging so I would be leaving it at least another two weeks before I started drinking it, maybe longer if it isn't ready. And by then time and gravity should have done their job.
'Patience is the friend of the homebrewer'

It’s a corny keg in the kegerator, carbonating with CO2, plan on leaving it as you suggest, another two weeks, but I was surprised at how clear the bottles had become after only one week compared to the corny.

It’s a corny keg in the kegerator, carbonating with CO2, plan on leaving it as you suggest, another two weeks, but I was surprised at how clear the bottles had become after only one week compared to the corny.
I've noticed the same thing since using cornies, I used to bottle the rest of my brew but now only brew enough for the keg. The bottles would clear quick compared to the corny. I thought it was the other way round but obviously not the case.

Could simply be the fact that first pint out the corny can be cloudy as any sediment that has transferred over settles. Bet the second pint is as clear as that in the PETs

Could simply be the fact that first pint out the corny can be cloudy as any sediment that has transferred over settles. Bet the second pint is as clear as that in the PETs

I guess only time will tell.

Any temp difference between the keg and the bottles? Are the bottles at room temp carbonating or are they in the kegerator too?

Could be a bit of chill haze from the pint out of the keg. The bottles I've got in my fridge were crystal clear when the went in but decidedly cloudy now!

Last edited:
Any temp difference between the keg and the bottles? Are the bottles at room temp carbonating or are they in the kegerator too?

Could be a bit of chill haze from the pint out of the keg. The bottles I've got in my fridge we're crystal clear when the went in but decidedly cloudy now!

The keg is chilled, bottles are outside at room temp. I have yet to chill the bottles

Latest posts

Back