Conditioning - Hot or Cold??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeboy

Reaction score
I have made a few brews and am unsure about what to do once i have bottled the beer after primary fermentation. Should i be bottling the beer and then putting it back in my beer fridge at 20C for a couple of weeks? Or should i be putting the bottles somewhere cold (like my garage?)
I have just bottled a citra six and i dont know what to do. Does it make a massive difference??

Yes it does need a couple of weeks (you can get away with 1 sometimes) in the warm in order for the bottles to carbonate, if you go straight to cold the yeast goes to sleep and no fizz :-(

Does the same apply if you use lager yeast?
I've fermented my Pilsner out at around 11C so when I bottled I just moved it straight to cold conditioning (in the utility room) which is around the same temp at the moment!
I have heard that some people add fresh yeast to the bottles when priming a lager but I didn't do that! :)

DA

after bottling I crate them up and put them in the spare room upstairs for a month in the warm, before cold crashing in the fridge

The general rule of thumb for beer is 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks in the warm carbonating and then 2 weeks somewhere colder for conditioning before sampling.

I have made a few brews and am unsure about what to do once i have bottled the beer after primary fermentation. Should i be bottling the beer and then putting it back in my beer fridge at 20C for a couple of weeks? Or should i be putting the bottles somewhere cold (like my garage?)
I have just bottled a citra six and i dont know what to do. Does it make a massive difference??

I usually warm condition for 5-7 days then down as low as possible for a week or more until clear.
It can make a big difference to getting haze free beer if you store as low as possible ,say 3-5 °C and the beer is clear then it will not develop a chill haze when refrigerated at higher temperatures indoors.

How does conditioning differ with beer against lager. I brew lager nice and clear but it often lacks fizz after 4 weeks in the shed around 3 to five degrees. Should I add yeast with the sugar or leave at room temperature for a while before cooling down to 3 degrees?

Cheers guys, so it seems the general consensus is that i should keep it warm for 1 to 2 weeks bfore chilling. Unfortunately i have a Saison fermenting in my beer fridge so need to find another warm place!!

Latest posts

Back