Conditioning Mild advice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Flint

Reaction score
Hey all, trying out my first AG Mild today, but I've been trawling the forum and I'm stumped regarding the fermentation and conditioning..

Here's the recipe I'm using (aiming for a 11L of smoooth drinkable mild)

1.5 KG Maris Otter
200g Crystal
80g Black Malt

8g Goldings @90mins
8g Fuggles @90mins

OG 1.038
SafAle s-04

Ferment in the primary, how long after fermentation has finished? any advice for temperature during fermentation?

Bottling, should i prime it..? any advice on temperatures?

any advice, much appreciated :)

Hi Mate ,
Drop the Black Malt from the Grist , Not usually present in the grist of a Mild ; Try popping a SMALL HANDFULL / FEW G of Black into the copper at the end of the boil to darken the Wort.
As to the Maturation ; I`d cool to 14 c @ 1.011 and then after say 24-48 Hrs , Rack to a Cask / Container @ 15 c @ 1.008 - 1.007.5 on a PG of 1.005 ; The Container / Cask should be stood at an ambient temperature @ 16 - 20 c for 3 dAYS THEN Cellar @ 10 - 12 c for 2 Weeks , then add barrel finings and roll well , stillage @ 10 - 12 c for 1 week then Vent and allow 24 - 36 Hours to Clear and Condition before a spot of QC
I hope that helps ,
Cheers
Edd

Hi Mate ,
Drop the Black Malt from the Grist , Not usually present in the grist of a Mild ; Try popping a SMALL HANDFULL / FEW G of Black into the copper at the end of the boil to darken the Wort.
As to the Maturation ; I`d cool to 14 c @ 1.011 and then after say 24-48 Hrs , Rack to a Cask / Container @ 15 c @ 1.008 - 1.007.5 on a PG of 1.005 ; The Container / Cask should be stood at an ambient temperature @ 16 - 20 c for 3 dAYS THEN Cellar @ 10 - 12 c for 2 Weeks , then add barrel finings and roll well , stillage @ 10 - 12 c for 1 week then Vent and allow 24 - 36 Hours to Clear and Condition before a spot of QC
I hope that helps ,
Cheers
Edd
Nice one, thanks, I'll drop the black malt, and try it in the boil at the end instead.
I don't have a cask (yet), any ideas on how I can do some of the late stage conditioning in bottles?

cheers!

Hi Shaun ;
1 St Step : At the point where I say Pop it to a 2 Nd FV , DO THAT @ + 2 degrees gravity point , and then to a 2 Nd FV and cool to 14 c , then wait 24 Hours before dropping it to a 3 Rd FV ( Sealable Lid , and as little headspace above the beer surface as possible ) and condition at 10 - 12 c until it`s at your expected P.Grav @ say 1.007.5 AND PRIME WITH 1.002 Malt Extract & 1.001.5 Demerara Sugar , okay you`ll get a slightly higher abv , but the malt extract will help rather than direct sugars as exclusive primings agent .
Cheers ,
Edd
EXPECTED P.Grav / Final Gravity @ 1.007

Hi Shaun ;
1 St Step : At the point where I say Pop it to a 2 Nd FV , DO THAT @ + 2 degrees gravity point , and then to a 2 Nd FV and cool to 14 c , then wait 24 Hours before dropping it to a 3 Rd FV ( Sealable Lid , and as little headspace above the beer surface as possible ) and condition at 10 - 12 c until it`s at your expected P.Grav @ say 1.007.5 AND PRIME WITH 1.002 Malt Extract & 1.001.5 Demerara Sugar , okay you`ll get a slightly higher abv , but the malt extract will help rather than direct sugars as exclusive primings agent .
Cheers ,
Edd
EXPECTED P.Grav / Final Gravity @ 1.007
Perfect, this is exactly what i needed, I was reading your blog last night and woke up this morning with mild on my mind :D

thanks again for the help!

Just reading through the Tetley Mild Special, i noticed that they used Live Barm, which is interesting, as i had read about this dialect term for yeast in Norway and 'berm' is mentioned in a post by Lars Garhol on his blog about kviek, I now live in Norway. and my previous boss is from that area (Telemark), and they have quite a distinct dialect, i asked him about 'berm', and he said its slang for scum, often used regarding people :D

Just thought you might find it interesting!

Nice one, thanks for the heads up, and if anybody has any advice regarding yeasts that are preferable when brewing milds/bitters?

i have access to these in Norway

SafAle so4
Nottingham Ale yeast
WLP 002
WLP 005
WLP 007
WLP 013

All of them would work I would think. If you can get cross my loof yeasts over there, I l really like their beoir yeast
I'm popping by the brew shop tomorrow and will have a look, they don't have the ones you mentioned on the webshop, but the staff told me before that they have more stock in store than online :)

Back