Confused update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvabeer

Reaction score
Hi all
I left my beer alone as advised and sure enough the bin fell silent. So I took a sample for hydrometer reading and its started bubbling again. Could it be that I’m disturbing it ? Also the reading is now 1000 from 1100 last week
Cheers

If you're drawing off at a tap at the bottom, that might in turn draw a little air in through the air lock.

Don't worry about any bubbling or lack of bubbling in the airlock. The only thing that matters is the hydrometer reading.

Its at 1.000 now, so if it still reads 1.000 tomorrow and then reads 1.000 one more day after that, then it is finished fermenting. athumb..

Hi!
I agree with @braziliain
Pay no attention to airlock activity. There may be a tiny leak at the edge of the lid of the vessel that allows CO2 to escape and that will mean that there will be no bubbles coming through the arlock.
I've stopped using airlocks - there's no danger of air getting into the vessel as CO2 is pushing out.

I do agree with Terrym above. I didn't mention it initially so as not to add to the confusion. Even if you are reading the hydrometer wrong though, so long as it is the same reading 3 days in a row, it's an indication that fermentation has ended.

As Terrym says, 1.000 is low for a beer, but typical for a cider. Also 1.100 is very high starting gravity for a kit beer. If your readings are correct the alcohol percentage will be around 13% abv which is more typical of a wine!

From what I've read on here, but no personal experience to call on, beer gravities of around 1.000 indicate a possible infection unless an enzyme has been used. The lowest I've ever got with a beer was 1.006.

That’s so much lads
Reading terrym’s attachment I was indeed miss reading the hydrometer the correct reading is 1010 so i’ll do two more days of reading’s and if there the same it’s finished. Great advice brilliant forum. Just one more question I was going to leave the beer in the fb for another week after fermentation. Good idea or bad ?
Cheers

@Luvabeer
Many on here suggest 14 days before packaging is about right, but always subject to it being done a few days before. I generally leave it about 16 days with the last two in the coldest place I have at the time to help drop the yeast. I try to aim for clear or nearly clear beer at packaging which still means enough yeast to carb up. Note that some beers can take a long time in primary especially lagers done at a low temperature or high gravity beers, so 14 days may not necessarily be long enough

Latest posts

Back