Confused

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvabeer

Reaction score
I posted a thread yesterday asking for advice as to how long I should leave fermented beer in fb. Because the airlock had been silent for two days. Got up this morning and the airlock as started bubbling away again?

I posted a thread yesterday asking for advice as to how long I should leave fermented beer in fb. Because the airlock had been silent for two days. Got up this morning and the airlock as started bubbling away again?
Unless you have a decent stainless or glass vessel airlocks are mostly decorative and mean nothing.

1. As other wiser folks have already said, leave it alone ;)

2. I wonder if one could "help" an imperfect lid seal on an FV by running some sellotape round the rim, or even cling film???

3. I did my first two brews in a big (6USGal) FV I got with a kit - both times the airlock went like the clappers for the first 48 hrs then literally not a sausage! Persuaded by the wise sages here, I left AG#1 alone for 3 weeks, bottled it yesterday and it was perfect :)

4. For AG#2 I had bought a new smaller 15L FV & airlock. Apart from more hops it's the same recipe & yeast as AG#1, but even 1 week after pitching it's still bubbling away now and then - for whatever reason I guess the new FV just seals better.

5. Speaking as a newbie myself, it *is* really confusing! It's really hard to believe this amazing bio-chemical process is progressing normally when there's no apparent sign of activity - and that's the value of the voice of experience you can find here :)

Latest posts

Back