Conical corroding?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A T

Regular.
Reaction score
I noticed this a couple of months ago, it's like the finish on the SS on the inside of the conical is corroding away :hmm: Would this have anything to do with the use of starsan on the "high grade" of chinese SS :lol: because it does seem to coincide with when i started to use starsan. It doesn't seem to have any affect on the beer cause i've used it about 3 times since i noticed it. Is there any danger using it in this state?
Edit forgot the photo :oops:

conical.jpg

Vossy1 said:
That might well be beer stone. I get it on my ss product coil. Does it scrub off with a ss scrubby?

A SS scrubby :hmm: am i been to easy on this baby? i do be afraid to use the rough side of a dish sponge in case i hurt it :oops:

:lol: ...you gotta show that stainless who's boss ;)

I had a conversation with Steve Flack recently. It was SF who told me that the white scale on my ss product coil was beerstone. He uses a ss scrubby on his Blichmann conical to get rid of the stuff, so I reckon you'll be o.k.
I used a plastic scrubby sponge and every time the steel dried the white stuff would come back. I gave up trying to remove it, and sanitised it 'as is' :shock: Luckily I haven't had an infection, but now I'm guessing it was just a matter of time.

I fermented 75-100L of beer in that since i noticed it :shock: I never lost a brew to infection yet unless you count chillis an infection :lol: Thanks for the info V1 i'm gonna get evil with that conical tomorrow :evil:

ah! i always wondered what the white limescaley type substance that i sometimes get on the inside of my plastic fermenters was... i always thought it was either the powder based sanitiser i used to use or hard water.

after reading your link V, i'm glad i took the time to use vinegar on a soft cloth (i wont dare use even a plastic scrubby on plastic fermenters) to remove it... would've been a good place for nasties to hide :shock:

thanks V :thumb:

Beer stone (Calcium Oxalate) is a major PITA. Even cleaning with hot strong caustic and then a HOT acid CIP regime only keeps it at bay for so long . . . Eventually You are reduced to climbing into the FVs and scraping it off with stainless scrapers . . . . you can get a paste from Murphys which will remove it . . . but its expensive to use on 10BBL FV's . . . . Much cheaper to kick a brewing apprentice into the FV with a scraper :lol:

Make sure the scrubby you use is stainless steel not just any old steel as using non-stainless can lead to corrosion.

Beer stone is tough stuff. I spent a while trying to get it off with a green plastic scrubby which totally failed. In the end I decided 'right you b*stard' and went at it with the stainless scrubby. It does work but you do need to put a bit of elbow grease into it.

UserDeleted said:
Beer stone (Calcium Oxalate) is a major PITA. Even cleaning with hot strong caustic and then a HOT acid CIP regime only keeps it at bay for so long . . . Eventually You are reduced to climbing into the FVs and scraping it off with stainless scrapers . . . . you can get a paste from Murphys which will remove it . . . but its expensive to use on 10BBL FV's . . . . Much cheaper to kick a brewing apprentice into the FV with a scraper :lol:

Aye, and what a bundle of joy that job is.

We've just been talking to a chemical company in Warrington who do an acid that will get rid of it - we're specifically thinking about the copper. Don't know any more yet...

Latest posts

Back