Connecting an element

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcorbetto

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out how to connect this element up. It's a burco element in a 6l thermopot as far as I remember there were no cables with it so my simple mind is confused.

The 2 prongs sticking up with the red bit on them, that's your element so connect live to one and neutral to the other, doesn't matter which way round. Then the screw in the middle is earth :thumb:

The other thing with two spade connectors on it is a thermostat and/or safety cut-out and is currently wired in series with the element. So the above instructions will bypass that, which is probably what you want. But if you're using spade connectors you will have to remove what appears to be a soldered wire before you can fit one of them on.

so on the right hand side where there is a spade connector with a wire soldered to it i just break the wire off and put either live or neutral on that spade connector?

Yes, yes, yes. (I have to make this message at least 10 characters long with this new forum software so I can't simply say "Yes" !!!)

I have an element very similar to this, what about the insulation protection, whats the best and safest way to do this?

Usually they are protected by a plastic box or cover but there's nowhere to fix it onto on this one. I have no idea - sorry.

So I dissconnexted the piece of wire and it doesn't work maybe I need to afix a spade connector onto the prong

Back