Connecting wort chiller to water supply

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning team

Can anyone provide a top tip as to best way to connect cooling coil to the cold water supply. Diameter of inlet/ outlet is about 7m about the diameter of a syphon tube. Thing is though how do people hook these up to the domestic supply/ garden tap?

Thanks in advance.

7mm OD??? thats a very thin tube, most folk use 10mm OD sft copper tube for an IC?? some 8mm but circa 7mm?? thats could be brake line pipe? which may be a tad to thin to be usefull??

if its 8mm OD tube perhaps? (fingers crossed) then you can mod the in/out feeds with adaptors to bring the tube upto 15mm OD, at which point you can soak the end of standard 1/2" garden hose in a mug of off the boil water, and perhaps stretch the tube mouth (12.5mm) with some long nosed pliers before squeezing it around the 15mm tube terminating your chiller. Then a simple jubilee or crimp ear clip will secure the hose for you letting you terminate the feed end with the standard fittings to attach to taps etc...

6314253291_f8f8b90568.jpg

not the best pic but you can just about make it out i think..

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions - by way of post script, I connected inlet/ outlet to surplus syphon tubing having softened the ends of tube in boiling water - no need for any clips, as soon as it was cool the fit was as tight as you like. As regards connecting to water supply, I ransacked a random bag of hozelock fittings and having replaced the washer in a tap connector with a rubber grommet managed to fashion something that was relatively effective to link syphon tube to a length of garden hose in turn connected to outside tap through the kitchen window.

I had this problem and thought it to death,then wrapped some insulating tape round the copper,tightened a jubilee clip to it and thought about it no more.
Works for me anyway

Attachments

• D4EC627C-57A0-4EC8-BE80-13C662D49D3B.jpeg
    D4EC627C-57A0-4EC8-BE80-13C662D49D3B.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 160
I had this problem and thought it to death,then wrapped some insulating tape round the copper,tightened a jubilee clip to it and thought about it no more.
Works for me anyway
That's a good idea. I found mine started to drip and when I took of the jubillee clip over tightening had squashed the pipe. I like @Fil idea of soldering an extra length of pipe on so it's well clear of the pot.

Yeah,that’s a good idea,btw my back garden was the plasterers base whilst he skimmed my full house,that’s what the mess is.
There’s no such thing as a tidy plasterer!

without clips or clamps to secure the friction fit of tube onto pipe BE VERY MINDFUL to avoid blockages in the tube, Never accidently stand on the out flow tube, and watch it for kinks and folds as the tube will soften with hot water expelled through it.

edit - in a pinch a cable tie pulled tight with pliers cant be a bad idea ;)

once i selected the wrong length of feed tube for my IC and the lump of black sludge that was the remains of whatever had crawled in build a nest and died in there over winter formed a plug that was sufficient to push off my garden hose even when secured with a jubillee clip before spitting the slug of black sludge right at me stood t'other side of the kettle..
- i reboiled for an extra 15 mins,, and shelved that brew for a lengthy maturing period, and it was in the end a lovely pint of note..

Morning team

Can anyone provide a top tip as to best way to connect cooling coil to the cold water supply. Diameter of inlet/ outlet is about 7m about the diameter of a syphon tube. Thing is though how do people hook these up to the domestic supply/ garden tap?

Thanks in advance.
Screenshot_20210917-084654_Amazon Shopping.pngI'm trying this connector. Straight onto a hoselock I hope.

This is how I connect mine…
B281BE6D-883F-4CAA-B784-ED746AACAF49.jpeg

I connect to a hose (food grade) that is in turn connected to an outside tap. The cooling coil is made from 10mm copper pipe so I used a selection of soldered and compression fittings to get up to a male 1/2” BSP. This allows the connection of a hoselock adaptor so you can attach the hose.

Latest posts

Back