Conservatives agree pact with DUP to support May government

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This bribe to the DUP will be the death of Teresa May. All that money sent to NI and the DUP vote to continue the cap on emergency service and public sector pay in England. Bastards.

She's already a dead woman walking. It's just that any potential challenger doesnt want to step into her shoes at the moment because the leadership/PMship is currently a poisoned chalice

If I was a Tory I would not want Gove, Boris as has been said elsewhere is not as daft as he makes out.

I've no idea if he would be interested, but I've always felt Jacob Rees-Mogg would make a great leader for the Tories. Old-school gentleman, very calm, but also extremely bright. Staunch Brexiteer, as well, which is what's needed right now.

I've always felt Jacob Rees-Mogg would make a great leader for the Tories. Old-school gentleman, very calm, but also extremely bright. Staunch Brexiteer, as well, which is what's needed right now.

I don't think he will be everyones cup of tea.

article-2295489-18A9EC7E000005DC-859_634x500.jpg

If I was a Tory I would not want Gove, Boris as has been said elsewhere is not as daft as he makes out.

Boris is nowhere near as daft as he appears, but the fact remains that he appears daft. I struggle to see other world leaders taking him seriously.

So there is a money tree -

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HFuBF8NG8c[/ame]

Not really. I think the Conservatives couldn't work that one out and that's why it's not on the list that THEY issued. :thumb:

It seemed to me like the conservatives didn't issue that graph or they would have put the student pledge in surely? :hmm: After all the cons didn't promise debt free university for students and that surely is the biggest cost that's not on the chart! :whistle:

It seemed to me like the conservatives didn't issue that graph or they would have put the student pledge in surely? :hmm: After all the cons didn't promise debt free university for students and that surely is the biggest cost that's not on the chart! :whistle:

I'm not sure what your point is.

For sure, the Conservatives didn't issue that graph just like "Turkeys don't vote for Christmas." :lol:

It actually came from here ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/6joaz7/labours_cost_of_chaos_according_to_the/

The graph illustrated that the "Cost of Chaos" that the Conservatives had banged on about during their election campaign must have been a myth if, immediately after the election, they found a 1.5 billion pound bung for the DUP. The 1.5 billion pounds being a figure that dwarfed most of the "Cost of Chaos" figures that they had been complaining about.

Talking of "bungs", have you seen the latest from our Culture Secretary, Karen Bradley?

Apparently she is "minded to" refer the proposed take-over of Sky by Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox to the competition watchdog.

I suppose the phrase "minded to" is some kind of warning to Murdoch that if she doesn't get a big enough bung she will do it; and if she does get a big enough bung she will be "minded to" let the take-over go ahead.

Talk about decisive government. "Minded to ..." is a phrase used to declare an intention of going down to the pub not one used to describe the future action of a Government Minister.

The previous Culture Secretary was Jeremy Hunt who was really close to Murdoch and was about to let his last attempt to take-over Sky go ahead when the phone tapping scandal hit the headlines and he got scared off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...etary-karen-bradley-competition-a7814291.html

Watch the news for when our Culture Secretary is "minded to" let the take-over go ahead! It will mean she or her Party have received an adequate bung from Murdoch!

Also, for a bit of fun, check out this clip where James Naughtie actually names the Culture Secretary of the time in layman's terms! :whistle:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXI2rGT6nlY[/ame]

I asked at the begging of the thread if this coalition was going to cause problems in Ireland and here is the answer

A failure to reach a power-sharing deal at Stormont is a "monumental failure" by Theresa May and sets back decades of work, Sinn Féin has said.

Sinn Féin's Michelle O'Neill said the deadlock was a "consequence" of the Democratic Unionist Party's (DUP) support for the Tory government.

DUP leader Arlene Foster said her party will "keep working over the summer".

Northern Ireland Secretary James Brokenshire said there would be no resolution "in the immediate term".

Northern Ireland has been without a functioning devolved government since January, when the coalition led by the two biggest parties, the DUP and Sinn Féin, collapsed over a green energy scandal.

Mr Brokenshire said the issues dividing the parties "cannot be resolved quickly enough to enable an executive to be formed" soon.

He added that the government would "not forget our responsibilities to uphold political stability and good governance".

"I will reflect carefully in the coming days on any further steps which may be required to support the continued effective provision of public services in Northern Ireland."

The Irish Foreign Affairs Minister, Simon Coveney, urged the parties to "reflect on how progress can best be made".

Mrs Foster said the DUP wanted to see devolution restored at Stormont and would not abandon the talks process.

"I know people think politicians don't work over the summer, but actually we will keep working over the summer months to try to get agreement and come back again in the autumn," she added.

Mrs O'Neill said lack of a power-sharing deal was "a consequence of the DUP supporting the prime minister and, in turn, the prime minister supporting the DUP".

"We want to see these institutions restored but we need the executive to work on a sustainable basis, on the basis of fairness and equality," she said.

'Further political paralysis'

The SDLP's Nichola Mallon said her party's attempts to put forward solutions to the disputed issues were rebuffed by the DUP and Sinn Féin.

"Parties are putting their own narrow self-interest ahead of the interests of the people of Northern Ireland.

"Now people across Northern Ireland are facing weeks upon weeks of further political paralysis."

Robin Swann, the Ulster Unionist Party leader, said he was "failing to see any positives".

"The two largest parties have received the largest mandates they've ever had but they're failing to deliver for the people of Northern Ireland," he added.

The "deep, deep political impasse" between the DUP and Sinn Féin was leaving Northern Ireland's public services in "real jeopardy", according to the Alliance Party's Stephen Farry.

He urged the parties to "come to their senses", saying they needed "a sense of proportion and perspective in that particular regard".

"People are going to suffer as a consequence unless action happens."

Options under review

On Monday, Northern Ireland Secretary James Brokenshire said a deal to restore power sharing was still achievable.

Mr Brokenshire told MPs that legislation to enable a new executive could come as early as this week, but cautioned: "Time is short".

He warned that if no agreement was made he would be forced to pass a budget.

He said he would not call an assembly election immediately but would keep his options under review; he could have reintroduced direct rule from Westminster.

All of the responses from both the DUP and Sinn Féin indicated that there were still major issues to resolve

The most significant sticking points are disagreements over an Irish language act, same-sex marriage, a Bill of Rights and measures to deal with the legacy of Northern Ireland's Troubles.

Mr Brokenshire updated MPs about possible next steps after Stormont parties missed last Thursday's statutory deadline to strike a power-sharing deal.

"I continue to believe that a deal remains achievable.

"And if agreement is reached, I will bring forward legislation to enable an executive to be formed, possibly as early as this week," he said.

In January, the late Martin McGuinness, of Sinn Féin, resigned in protest over the DUP's handling of an inquiry into the Renewable Heat Incentive scheme.

His party had demanded that DUP leader Arlene Foster step aside temporarily to allow an investigation into the scheme she set up, but Mrs Foster refused.

Over the past six months, and during two elections at Stormont and Westminster, the two parties have remained deadlocked over a number of issues.

BBC News.

The graph illustrated that the "Cost of Chaos" that the Conservatives had banged on about during their election campaign must have been a myth if, immediately after the election, they found a 1.5 billion pound bung for the DUP. The 1.5 billion pounds being a figure that dwarfed most of the "Cost of Chaos" figures that they had been complaining about.

As per my earlier post in the thread, even Labour put the cost of their manifesto at £48.6bn, which of course dwarfs the payment to NI.

I dont think it's the actual figure it's the fact that May they the DUP a bung to get them on board

Granted, a lot of people (most?) are pretty p*ssed off with the payment to NI, but I was responding to this:

The 1.5 billion pounds being a figure that dwarfed most of the "Cost of Chaos" figures that they had been complaining about

Seems T.May is getting ever more desperate. After giving the DUP a ��£1B bung she has now asked Corby and Labour to help her out of trouble

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-tory-mps-attack-prime-minister-a7834286.html

I read in the Evening Standard that Labour have effectively given her the two finger salute though

What would happen if ALL of our politicians started working for the UK instead of fighting each other?

Maybe the answer is to be found on the same page that carries the original story where an article asks "Why doesn't Jeremy Corbyn just f**k off and join the Tories?"

Maybe there is no room in the Tory ranks for someone they have described as a Marxist, Leninist, Trotskyist and dangerously Left-Wing.

The Tories are running scared. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Latest posts

Back