Constant supply of beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skulltat280

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi folks, if anyone here drinks say around 50 pints a week, how to you set up to keep a constant supply?

I was looking at corny kegs as an option but working out way more than I can afford so thinking maybe more buckets/fermentors to store beer in until bottles are ready to be filled again

Currently I've a 10 gallon mash/boiler (about 45 litres, maybe 50 to the brim) with a tap, a 60 litre fermentor, a 33ltr bottling bucket and a hand capper

I'll upgrade to a bench capper, any other equipment to make it less hassle and easier/cutting time on brew days?

Mini kegs are fairly cheap (£6 each last time I looked a while ago) or you can buy them from the supermarket with beer in themand reuse them. If you just use the gravity tap you have to drink the beer in about 3 days but if you're drinking a fair bit of beer per week that wont be a problem. Otherwise get a party star tap and the beer will last as long as you want it to

Lol, not an alcoholic :laugh8:

Some weekends though I can go through easy 40 cans

Thanks, I'll check out the party star tap

A week of abstinence ashock1 comments like that should result in a ban :laugh8:

People get really fed up of bottling after a while (myself included) so if you can dig deep buy some sh cornies. Its well worth it. If you cant i would get more fermenters and use 2l plastic water bottles instead of 500ml. Should save loads of time. I used to get through a ridiculous amount of bottles and could never brew enough to keep a decent stock. Now i brew 30l batches and always have 6 or more on the go. Plenty of time for the beer to mature then and still my kegs are only half full.

Yeah at some point hopefully 1st half of next year I'll get the corny kegs set up, unfortunately not possible at the moment

I seen someone link beerkegtap or something like that in a keezer build thread for about £240/250 for a 2 keg set up. Think just gas needed to add to it and obviously a chest freezer.

What kind of beer do you like, Skulltat? if it's of the "real ale" variety you could look at polypins. The old beer in a box system was good for short term storage because the bag collapses onto the beer as you pour it. Don't forget to condition the beer with the tap facing upwards so you can vent the bag if too much pressure builds up. Here's some pics:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...&ved=0ahUKEwj-7qeLvo_mAhXWQUEAHSFdAuoQ4dUDCAY

Don't worry about the others, they're just jealous. 50 pints is a tolerable breakfast session, I should say. Especially if there are a few of you at it! acheers.

:laugh8:

I mostly drink lagers but I don't have a chamber to brew them with cold temperatures.

I also like pilsners but I'm assuming that would be the same or similar to brewing lager

I do like stout but I've only had Guinness and murphys, need to try a homebrew

And finally I do like ales as long as they don't have a strong citrus or fruit taste

50 a week? Most weeks I drink about 10% of that. A batch of HB can last me a couple of months!

Lol

If its an excuse or helps, I'm Irish :beer1:

It wouldn't be 50 every week, that was just an idea figure but I would consume at least close to that most weeks.

Just thought, brewing a strong beer would bring the quantity needed down

Im good for about 35 a week.....Ive slowly been building my cornies up as I could afford them, now have 6 and am about ready to build a system. Bottling sucks and I use the flip top which do save time.

Lol

If its an excuse or helps, I'm Irish :beer1:

It wouldn't be 50 every week, that was just an idea figure but I would consume at least close to that most weeks.

Just thought, brewing a strong beer would bring the quantity needed down
In my experience, brewing a stronger beer doesn't help. If you're used to drinking say. four pints you won't be happy with less, It's the quantity, not the strength. I think the brewer's skill is being able to brew a satisfying beer that you can stick with all night without falling over. It's a cultural thing. I know the Belgians would disagree, but then they weren't weaned on pints.

Polypins are not really suited to lager styles nor Irish stout, where you need to have a carbonation level that would burst the bag. They're only suited to low carbonation so-called "real ales".

Traditional English ales are not citrussy. Stick to English style hops: Fuggles, WGV, Bramling Cross, Endeavour, Sovereign, Target, etc.

:laugh8:

I mostly drink lagers but I don't have a chamber to brew them with cold temperatures.

I also like pilsners but I'm assuming that would be the same or similar to brewing lager

I do like stout but I've only had Guinness and murphys, need to try a homebrew

And finally I do like ales as long as they don't have a strong citrus or fruit taste
You have a wide ranging palate like myself. As long as it's cold and wet.

Lol, not an alcoholic :laugh8:

Some weekends though I can go through easy 40 cans

Thanks, I'll check out the party star tap

A week of abstinence ashock1 comments like that should result in a ban :laugh8:

Don't worry too much about it skulltat, if you drink 40 cans easily in a weekend you don't need to think too much about the long term. Just make sure you have a decent life insurance policy ashock1

Honestly mate, I am not joking here. You should seriously think about cutting down, that is not good for you at all. You are effectively drinking the equivalent of three and a half bottles of vodka each week.

Back