Constant temp FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanvine

Landlord.
Reaction score
Better late than never

Well the long hot summer is just about over and I’ve finally got a chiller.
It’s a Maxi 110 with 1 product line and 1 re-circ line, plenty for me, especially as it was free!
Using a PID, STC100, Rab Maxwell device (chiller), my HERMS, a Solar pump, 6 No. Ball valves and 2 No. 1-way valves, I have been able to construct a constant temp FV.
I had to go this way as my (ex Vossy) conical won’t fit into any domestic fridge or freezer.
Talking of Vossy, I used his excellent idea of altering the “Maxi” wiring and using the STC1000 to control the re-circ pump, the rest of the chiller working as normal.
On the heating side, the PID is plugged into the STC1000 “hot side” along with the Solar pump PSU.
The PID is needed to stop the HERMS from boiling (at the mo it’s set to 40C).
The 1-way valves stop hot water getting into the chiller and vice versa.
The ball valves allow me to remove any part and still keep the system primed.
It took 2 hrs to reduce 24ltrs from 22C to 19C, the heating side is quicker.
With the STC1000 set at 0.5C difference, I get 18.5C – 19.5C.
It looks horrendous/ Heath Robinson and no doubt could be simplified, but I’m well pleased!

Overall view

1 way valves and feed to “Rab Maxwell”

Maxi chiller + HERMS

PID with HERMS plugged in

STC1000, “Hot” side on the left

The nightmare!

Maxwell chiller/heater

That's an impressive amount of pipes and widgets! I am still shying away from an STC1000 which I know I will soon have to be getting, since even in my cellar I am fermenting at 22-23 degrees.
I did wonder if it might be possible to make a large temp controlled enclosure for about the same effort as your awesome Prof Brainstorm (anyone remember him?) device.
I know someone on here made himself a refrigerated cool-box out of an old packing crate and various bit of insulation. That said, I think an AC unit was involved, and they are not cheap.

All in all, top work there though - as long as it works and didn't break your bank it's all good :clap:

EDIT please tell me at some point towards the end of your build you stood back from it all and laughed like a madman "Mwahahahahahahahahah! Vott haff I creeayted!?!"

Latest posts

Back