Container for no chill brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgrace

Reaction score
I recently posted on the topic of no chill brewing. The comments were very helpful. However, I am still unsure about the kind of container I need in which to leave the beer to cool naturally. If I am doing a 12L batch what size container would I need? Does the beer have to reach right to the top of the container or can there be some space? And can anyone provide a link to a place where I can purchase a suitable container in the UK?

I can't find the spec of it, most people use a Gerry can of some sort. I use and old 20 litre fermenter

Last edited:
I can't find the spec of it, must people use a Gerry can of some sort. I use and old 20 litre fermenter
I use a 15L fermenter for my 12L brew, but I worry that it may not be safe from infection if the beer is just left to cool naturally. I suppose the only reason I have for this anxiety is that others use another container with a tighter seal for cooling. Why wouldn't they just use the fv? It seems to me that it is a lot simpler to just use the fv. In a previous post, I was advised to make sure that the fv was well sanitized and that would make it ok. I replied saying the water where I live has a low Ph which does not allow me to use a sanitizer such as Starsan. I use Sodium Percarbonate.

I use a speidel 20 litre, it has a screw cap with an o-ring so it forms a good seal. I make sure it's clean but I don't worry about it being completely sanitised. You are dropping near boiling wort into it, that will kill anything that may remain.

I am going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here. I use my FV and clingfilm the hole where the airlock goes or throw a towel over it until pitching then add the airlock.
Some say it has more risk which it obviously does but with a good sanitisation/cleansing policy it has been ok for me for years.
Others use a cube as near as possible to the size of brew and squeeze in the side until the wort is right at the top then screw on the cap to eliminate any air but I have done both and find using the FV the best for me albeit the slight risk factor.
Ps near on 100 brews that way and I either whirlpool or let the temp drop a little before transfer to the FV

As above, on the occasions I have no chilled I just put the FV in the brewfridge ( with airlock in place ) set to pitch temperature and leave till the morning - not had a problem yet.

I am going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here. I use my FV and clingfilm the hole where the airlock goes or throw a towel over it until pitching then add the airlock.
Some say it has more risk which it obviously does but with a good sanitisation/cleansing policy it has been ok for me for years.
Others use a cube as near as possible to the size of brew and squeeze in the side until the wort is right at the top then screw on the cap to eliminate any air but I have done both and find using the FV the best for me albeit the slight risk factor.
Ps near on 100 brews that way and I either whirlpool or let the temp drop a little before transfer to the FV
Thanks. I use Sodium Percarbonate because my local water is too low in Ph for Starsan. Would VWP ckeaner and steriliser be good for the purpose of using my FV for chilling the beer?
##

I would think so David as if that is what you normally sanitise with.
Just make sure you sanitise and clean well and I do not see any problems

I have done the same recently for all of batches as I hate wasting water and it has made no difference to the quality

I also make small batches 1 to 2 gallons, when time is tight I let it cool in a 16 litre bucket with tap overnight, then let that empty into same size fermenting bucket next day, gets oxygen into it and saves my dodgy shoulder stirring /shaking lol.

All sterilised with Sodium P and tap soaked in VWP after use

I regularly do a 12 litre batch. The kettle goes into a sink full of cold water and that water is used for the washing up. I tie a tea towel over the kettle (only to prevent the lid being accidentally displaced) and then put the kettle outdoors to cool overnight. The wort gets run into the fermenter in the morning. I don't see how you can easily aerate hot wort that's already in the fermenter. I've done the same with full size batches brewed outside on the gas ring. Just leave it to cool overnight.
Works for me.

I recently posted on the topic of no chill brewing. The comments were very helpful. However, I am still unsure about the kind of container I need in which to leave the beer to cool naturally. If I am doing a 12L batch what size container would I need? Does the beer have to reach right to the top of the container or can there be some space? And can anyone provide a link to a place where I can purchase a suitable container in the UK?
You aren't really going down the 'No Chill' route as it is known, you are chilling overnight. HDPE is what you need as the fermenting vessel. As you aren't doing an actual 'No Chill' which brewers over here practice you just need a vessel with enough head space to ferment in. Spray with Star San around the rim and cover with a clean tea towel, (you have the StarSan **** about, it requires a low pH to be effective). The hot wort will sanitise the vessel HDPE is good to 80c but many will fill at a higher temperature. Cover with cling wrap as Baron says the next day, no airlock needed.

I regularly do a 12 litre batch. The kettle goes into a sink full of cold water and that water is used for the washing up. I tie a tea towel over the kettle (only to prevent the lid being accidentally displaced) and then put the kettle outdoors to cool overnight. The wort gets run into the fermenter in the morning. I don't see how you can easily aerate hot wort that's already in the fermenter. I've done the same with full size batches brewed outside on the gas ring. Just leave it to cool overnight.
Works for me.
What size is your kettle? I do 12L batches in a Peco boiler and I would worry over cooling naturally with so much space above the wort.

You aren't really going down the 'No Chill' as it is known, you are chilling overnight. HDPE is what you need as the fermenting vessel. As you aren't doing an actual 'No Chill' which brewers over here practice you just need a vessel with enough head space to ferment in. Spray with Star San around the rim and cover with a clean tea towel, (you have the StarSan **** about, it requires a low pH to be effective). The hot wort will sanitise the vessel HDPE is good to 80c but many will fill at a higher temperature. Cover with cling wrap as Baron says the next day, no airlock needed.

Back