Container for no chill brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought cooling in the FV was standard practice! I had no idea anyone did anything else.
Ditto. Transfer from the boiler half an hour after switch-off to let it settle. The hot wort further sanitises the fv. Slap the lid on and that's it.

Last couple of brews I've had to pitch in the middle of the night but normally it's cool enough by bed time if I've finished brewing by 2pm.

Fermentis say there's absolutely no need to aerate before pitching. And I never have.
No there isn't and that goes for the other dried yeasts as well. But I understand that with harvested yeast or yeast grown up from bottled beers, there is a need to aerate.

All I can say about headspace is that I've never had an issue! I suppose the only way contamination can happen is via the small amount of air that is sucked into the kettle as the liquid cools. Much greater opportunity for infection after transfer and during lagtime, I would have thought. Anyway, there we have it. It works.

Yes, I forgot to say that was for dried yeasts only. Though I've pitched the previous brews trub without aeration and had no problem.

Mine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-103804.png
    Screenshot_20220809-103804.png
    236.4 KB · Views: 0
Fermentis say there's absolutely no need to aerate before pitching. And I never have.
I never used to aerate till I started following this forum! Readong stuff on here ot is so easy to believe that something must be important when it really isn't.
I think I'll revert to not aerating, althoigh I do enjoy deploying the drill whip <g>

Thanks. I use Sodium Percarbonate because my local water is too low in Ph for Starsan. Would VWP ckeaner and steriliser be good for the purpose of using my FV for chilling the beer?
##
I don't understand this? Starsan is acidic, the solution you make up should have a pH below 3.5. How can the pH of your water be too low?

There are drawbacks to not chilling the wort quickly.
https://byo.com/article/wort-chilling/
As the article says, their ‘can be’ drawbacks to not chilling wort quickly, however it also states these can be mitigated.

If you’re only doing 12L and have kegs, the make an ideal fermenting vessel. By pouring the hot wort directly into your keg post-boil you’ll also be safely sanitising the FV.

I am going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here. I use my FV and clingfilm the hole where the airlock goes or throw a towel over it until pitching then add the airlock.
Some say it has more risk which it obviously does but with a good sanitisation/cleansing policy it has been ok for me for years.
Others use a cube as near as possible to the size of brew and squeeze in the side until the wort is right at the top then screw on the cap to eliminate any air but I have done both and find using the FV the best for me albeit the slight risk factor.
Ps near on 100 brews that way and I either whirlpool or let the temp drop a little before transfer to the FV
This is exactly what I’ve done for a few no chills without issue 👍🏻🍻

As it happens after 94 AG brews, I had my first go at some sort of no chill brew the other night for pretty much all the reasons already mentioned, even though there isn't a hosepipe ban in my area yet.

The way I did it was after whirlpooling when it was already down to 85degC I simply switched off and the kettle outside overnight - the lid can be clamped on and I left the pump in place which I figured was enough to stop bugs crawling up the tap or in through the hole in the lid.

It got down to 35degC by the next morning so I drained the wort to a sanitised FV pretty much as usual and then left it in the brew fridge to chill down to 20degC before pitching.

But reading through this thread it seems like there are a few other options - my buckets are marked with "PP" and "5" => Polypropylene, which Google tells me is only stable up to about 82degC:

- But presumably I could let the wort cool to say 80degC (or sit the FV in a trug of cool water) and then drain to the FV?

- Don't you need to be careful about hot side aeration, or is this not a thing these days?

- Do I understand correctly that at least some of you folks are putting an FV of hot wort directly into your brew fridge? My concern about this is whether such relatively high temperatures might overload the fridge???

Cheers,

Matt

Latest posts

Back