Converting 72 pint ale cask

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannythemanny

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I acquired a 72 pint ale cask from a friend's wedding. They said they didn't think the brewery would return their deposit because they'd let it sit for a couple of years and so they gave it to me. I'm not quite sure what to do with it, though. On first inspection, it doesn't appear that it will be easy to clean because I can't see any opening other than the for the tap and the hole in the middle to let air in.

I'm not planning on using it as a keg, because I only brew 19L batches. I would like another fermenter, though, and wonder if this can be modified to this purpose. I wouldn't know where to begin. To clarify, it's not a sanke keg, but an ale cask.

Attachments

• 16204834287206218407966613425982.jpg
    16204834287206218407966613425982.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 69
Oh, really? I had no idea. I had assumed the deposit covers the cost of the keg. I'll find out the brewery and give them a call.

Its got to be worth the call Danny to be on the safe side, this explains Leon's post above.

1603544232720.png

WELCOME TO KEGWATCH LIMITED.

Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (containers) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch is the organisation committed to reducing these losses.

Keg Watch is a Trade Association limited by guarantee. We represent the interests of over 1000 members from micro to international brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry.

The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.
If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.

Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorized destruction of containers.

Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line for any general queries or information you may have, call us on 0808 100 1945.

Are you having problems getting your containers uplifted? Phone Keg Watch now.

The aim of this website is to provide information about Keg Watch to licensees, the industry, the police and the public and to raise awareness of the issues involved.
If you are involved in handling stolen kegs, the penalties are severe.
Keg Watch pays rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorized destruction of containers.
http://www.kegwatch.co.uk/

In fairness to the OP if the keg came from the brewery and they have kept the cash for the deposit and not pursued it then thats a bit different to theft. People seem to get a bit too agitated about Kegwatch even where people have acquired items either legitimately or in good faith or as is probably the case here, both.

Failure to return a cask to the brewery and reclaim the deposit paid doesn’t transfer ownership of the cask. Intentionally, permanently depriving someone of their property is theft. Cask theft is a serious issue for the brewing industry, particularly for small brewers. If the brewery is still trading, I’m sure the brewery would be glad to have their cask back.
It is possible to use a cask as a fermenter provided the big bung (the shive) is intact. Just connect a blow-off tube to the tap and open it. I have fermented, conditioned, cleared and served beer from the same cask. The difficulty is cleaning and sanitising a cask without access to hot caustic cleaner, steam and the necessary equipment.

Question if Kegwatch take back the keg does the deposit get returned because surely that is misappropriation of funds? so are they just as bad if not?
Just a question athumb..

Question if Kegwatch take back the keg does the deposit get returned because surely that is misappropriation of funds? so are they just as bad if not?
Just a question athumb..
Surely his mate will lose his deposit as he failed to return the keg and passed the keg onto another

Don't know Leon just wondered where the deposits go. I suppose somebody will answer with a little more actual knowledge but I suppose the same applies to CO2 and beer gas bottles too

If you pay a deposit for those. I don't, just a one off cost of £24
And £24 only covers about a quarter of the cost of a keg.

I learned about a year ago not to mention Kegwatch on any of the Facebook brewing groups I’m on, because apparently:
  1. it’s easy to legally obtain a second hand ex-brewery keg (but they refused to disclose how) and
  2. Kegwatch are a joke with no power.

Last edited:
Just a question athumb..

The deposit is not some kind of advance payment for the cask. Typically there will be T&Cs along the lines of "If the container is not returned within 6 months then you lose the deposit" - but the cask still belongs to the brewery. Although in this case if you look carefully, they are renting the cask from Close Brothers, and will be liable for the full cost if they don't return it.

Seriously though - small breweries have been some of the hardest hit all businesses by the lockdowns, and keeping tabs on their cask/keg fleet is one of their biggest headaches even in the good times, now is not the time to be an **** about it.

Kegwatch are a joke with no power.

I am not sure where you get that assumption as it says below they pay for information to help them get breweries property back to them to stop unauthorized destruction of containers and offer an uplift service.

Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line for any general queries or information you may have, call us on 0808 100 1945.

Are you having problems getting your containers uplifted? Phone Keg Watch now.

I was paraphrasing the people I was having a disagreement with on Facebook.

As you didn't mention this in your post i assumed you were speaking from experience.

Don't know Leon just wondered where the deposits go. I suppose somebody will answer with a little more actual knowledge but I suppose the same applies to CO2 and beer gas bottles too
I think @Leon103 is right, the original deposit would be forfeited if the cask is not returned within a reasonable time. The recovery of a cask by Keg Watch doesn’t mean it is returned to the brewery it came from at no cost. It is sent to a central site (in Burton-on-Trent) and the brewery has to pay a fee to recover it and, unless they go and collect it, return transport costs. I have also heard it alleged (by smaller breweries) that some drivers for bigger breweries collect smaller breweries’ empty casks when picking up their own casks from pubs. These then find their way to the Keg Watch site and the smaller brewers have to pay to get them back.

As you didn't mention this in your post i assumed you were speaking from experience.
I thought the “I learned about a year ago not to mention Kegwatch on any of the Facebook brewing groups I’m on” and my use of the word “Apparently” at the start of the sentence containing the claim, made it fairly clear. I’ve reworded my original post to make it clearer.

Latest posts

Back