Converting 72 pint ale cask

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the “I learned about a year ago not to mention Kegwatch on any of the Facebook brewing groups I’m on” and my use of the word “Apparently” at the start of the sentence containing the claim, made it fairly clear. I’ve reworded my original post to make it clearer.

DOH, i missed that bit it'll teach me not to skip through posts.

This is from the keg watch page i don't see what they would gain by exaggerating.

kkkkkwwwwwwww.jpg

All UK Kegs and Casks (or Beer Barrels) are owned by UK Brewers – and not for sale or trading with the general public. If you have found or have been given or otherwise in possession of kegs/casks/beer barrels please contact the Keg Watch Office on FREE PHONE 0808 100 1945 - BEFORE YOU PLACE AN ADVERT.

KEG WATCH is the only official organisation to handle keg containers on behalf of the British Beer & Pubs Association and the owning brewers. It is staffed by brewers and is a NON PROFIT MAKING organisation. All internet sites are monitored constantly.

Failure to return a cask to the brewery and reclaim the deposit paid doesn’t transfer ownership of the cask. Intentionally, permanently depriving someone of their property is theft. Cask theft is a serious issue for the brewing industry, particularly for small brewers. If the brewery is still trading, I’m sure the brewery would be glad to have their cask back.
It is possible to use a cask as a fermenter provided the big bung (the shive) is intact. Just connect a blow-off tube to the tap and open it. I have fermented, conditioned, cleared and served beer from the same cask. The difficulty is cleaning and sanitising a cask without access to hot caustic cleaner, steam and the necessary equipment.

I understand its an issue its just tedious that as soon as anyone posts anything about old kegs people get straight on their sanctimonious high horses.

sanctimonious high horses.

Keg watch search foruns like this for posts like this.

We warn members that modifying stolen kegs could get them in deep **** and discussing it here is against the rules how is that us getting on our sanctimonious high horses.

Last edited:
This has got me thinking about "refurbished" Cornelius kegs - are we supposed to make sure those haven't been pinched? My understanding is that most of them are former soft drink syrup vessels, but it never occurred to me that they may have been nicked and sold on illegally.

Keg watch search foruns like this for posts like this.

We warn members that modifying stolen kegs could get them in deep **** and discussing it here is against the rules how is that us getting on our sanctimonious high horses.
Because any time a keg is discussed its assumed its stolen.

Because any time a keg is discussed its assumed its stolen.

We have to bring this to members attention if they don't say where they acquired the keg in the first post and are asking how to modify the keg, i can honestly say every time we post the warning it is a rarity if the new member posts again, if they got it legally they have nothing to worry about and our policy on this subject is not going to change.

Just keep a bit of beer in it and therefore it's still use, if you want to put a cushion on top of it and sit down then nothing they can do.

We have to bring this to members attention if they don't say where they acquired the keg in the first post and are asking how to modify the keg, i can honestly say every time we post the warning it is a rarity if the new member posts again, if they got it legally they have nothing to worry about and our policy on this subject is not going to change.
I think a lot of existing and time served members get fed up of seeing the same posts warnings etc but as Chippy says there are new members joining everyday at least 3 or 4 minimum. Now these newbies do not always introduce themselves or actually post much but lurk in the background absorbing what is posted so we need to make sure that we follow a consistent message to make sure all members are aware of legalities that can arise so it has to be repeated mundane as this is and do not forget we have to bother to re-post the message as well which takes up our time.
Hope this explains the reason why

I spoke with the brewery yesterday and they were very nice and said they would like the keg back, so someone's coming to collect it tomorrow. The deposit is forfeit because the keg is meant to be returned within a certain time frame, but hey ho, it wasn't my deposit! They also said they'd bring me a few bottles of something as thanks for my honesty. 👍 Thanks for making me aware!

I spoke with the brewery yesterday and they were very nice and said they would like the keg back, so someone's coming to collect it tomorrow. The deposit is forfeit because the keg is meant to be returned within a certain time frame, but hey ho, it wasn't my deposit! They also said they'd bring me a few bottles of something as thanks for my honesty. 👍 Thanks for making me aware!
That's a great result. Really glad the brewery were sensible about it. athumb..

That's a great result. Really glad the brewery were sensible about it. athumb..

They were very appreciative - makes you realise how kegs going walkabout is a serious headache for them. I honestly (naively) assumed they would have simply ordered a brand new one with the deposit my friend paid. On reflection, not the best assumption to make, but when I have had apples pressed they told me to keep the (plastic pressure) barrel if I didn't want the deposit back. But I can certainly see how, on the other hand, if you smashed up a rental car with a sledgehammer, they'd be likely to come after you for more than the deposit!

They were very appreciative - makes you realise how kegs going walkabout is a serious headache for them. I honestly (naively) assumed they would have simply ordered a brand new one with the deposit my friend paid. On reflection, not the best assumption to make, but when I have had apples pressed they told me to keep the (plastic pressure) barrel if I didn't want the deposit back. But I can certainly see how, on the other hand, if you smashed up a rental car with a sledgehammer, they'd be likely to come after you for more than the deposit!

It's one of the biggest problems for any brewery - even small ones will have £10k's tied up in their cask/keg "fleet" (although renting is common, as here) and for big ones it runs into £ millions. But the industry has evolved to assume trust, because Beer People Are Good People, even if that's clearly not true based on some replies here.

Just keep a bit of beer in it and therefore it's still use, if you want to put a cushion on top of it and sit down then nothing they can do.

It's nothing to do with it being "in use" - as I say the T&Cs will typically say that you have 6 months (which more than covers the best-before date on the beer) to return it otherwise you lose your deposit, and then they are entitled to use all means available - including potentially the courts and bailiffs, for which you would bear the cost - to recover their property. (or in this case, Close's property)

It's just not fair to "kidnap" their property - how would you feel if someone walked off with your laptop or your car. "But I need that for my job, to earn a living!" you say - and they just say "But I want to use your laptop as a chair and there's nothing you can do about it".

It's a good rule in life - treat others as you want them to treat you. In other words - don't be a dick.

It's one of the biggest problems for any brewery - even small ones will have £10k's tied up in their cask/keg "fleet" (although renting is common, as here) and for big ones it runs into £ millions. But the industry has evolved to assume trust, because Beer People Are Good People, even if that's clearly not true based on some replies here.

It's nothing to do with it being "in use" - as I say the T&Cs will typically say that you have 6 months (which more than covers the best-before date on the beer) to return it otherwise you lose your deposit, and then they are entitled to use all means available - including potentially the courts and bailiffs, for which you would bear the cost - to recover their property. (or in this case, Close's property)

It's just not fair to "kidnap" their property - how would you feel if someone walked off with your laptop or your car. "But I need that for my job, to earn a living!" you say - and they just say "But I want to use your laptop as a chair and there's nothing you can do about it".

It's a good rule in life - treat others as you want them to treat you. In other words - don't be a dick.

I just went into a cash and carry and picked up a keg of beer. No terms and conditions were given. Is the brewery and and the cash and carry tied to a contract over the return?

Ps - the keg will be returned to the brewery via other means.

Thanks for taking the time to phone them and for letting us know.

Final update: I was out when they came to collect the keg. My partner called me while I was at work and asked why there were 40 bottles of beer in our back garden! 😂 Very kind of them. I suppose the beers *technically* belong to my mate who first bought the cask from the brewery, though.....

A good outcome for both here the brewery get a valuable keg back and the OP gets 40 beers.
My question is if Kegwatch are looking on sites like this and watching Youtube how come some of the quite and I use the word loosely Well known Youtubers that some of us watch and have seen them start with using kegs and making them into keggles never seem to get caught when you can even see the brewery names embossed in the metal work or the coloured bands specific the a brewery?.
I have often wondered about this

A good outcome for both here the brewery get a valuable keg back and the OP gets 40 beers.
My question is if Kegwatch are looking on sites like this and watching Youtube how come some of the quite and I use the word loosely Well known Youtubers that some of us watch and have seen them start with using kegs and making them into keggles never seem to get caught when you can even see the brewery names embossed in the metal work or the coloured bands specific the a brewery?.
I have often wondered about this
Perhaps permission?

Back