Converting a plastic FV into a BIAB boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsbrew

Reaction score
Morning All

Been looking at moving from kits to all grain, and as much as I would love to jump straight in with an all in one system I just cant justify the expense... yet...

Ive got a load of 30 litre fermenter buckets kicking around, and ive been reading James Mortons book 'Brew' about BIAB and im thinking about putting a kettle element, hop filter and ball valve on one of these.

I need to make 19-20 litre batches as I put all my brews into Corny Kegs, is this sort of volume of wort to the fermenter possible with a 30 litre boiler using BIAB?

Any other things I might need to consider?

I BIAB no sparge in an 8 gallon ( 38L )pan and maximum batch I can make is 18L.
Starting water volume is around 24L and with displacement due to grain it's about 2 inches from top of pan.
You could brew over strength and liqour back.
If you had another way to heat sparge water you could increase potential batch volume. But it's more hassle than it's worth for me, though I have now upgraded to a 70L pan so not a problem.

I BIAB no sparge in an 8 gallon ( 38L )pan and maximum batch I can make is 18L.
Starting water volume is around 24L and with displacement due to grain it's about 2 inches from top of pan.
You could brew over strength and liqour back.
If you had another way to heat sparge water you could increase potential batch volume. But it's more hassle than it's worth for me, though I have now upgraded to a 70L pan so not a problem.

Confirming my thoughts to be honest, I didn't think you would be able to brew much more than a 12-13l batch in a 30l bucket.

Back to the drawing board, I can see me getting a big stainless pot... or just saving and getting a Grainfather S40!

Completely doable, been thinking about doing this myself one day. This is useful guide (I'm assuming the link still works, blocked on work PC): Build Your Own Brewery for Under £100 ! - STEP 2 - the Boiler

Only thing to consider it that normal fermenter buckets aren't really designed for a rolling boil, could go soft and might leach chemicals into your brew. Best to use a bucket made from polypropylene that can handle the temperatures which you might already have or can be bought cheaply: 33 ltr Fermenting Bin & Lid

Confirming my thoughts to be honest, I didn't think you would be able to brew much more than a 12-13l batch in a 30l bucket.

Back to the drawing board, I can see me getting a big stainless pot... or just saving and getting a Grainfather S40!
Just don't mash at full volume?

I think you'd certainly need to be mindful about the grade of plastic the bucket is made from. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a boiler made of metal!

If you had another way to heat sparge water...

A kettle? That's what I use. depends how much sparging you do, I suppose. But I do a bit of lautering first.

Morning All

Been looking at moving from kits to all grain, and as much as I would love to jump straight in with an all in one system I just cant justify the expense... yet...

Ive got a load of 30 litre fermenter buckets kicking around, and ive been reading James Mortons book 'Brew' about BIAB and im thinking about putting a kettle element, hop filter and ball valve on one of these.

I need to make 19-20 litre batches as I put all my brews into Corny Kegs, is this sort of volume of wort to the fermenter possible with a 30 litre boiler using BIAB?

Any other things I might need to consider?
That size would be fine, you will also need temperature control and a false bottom IE a microwave trivet.
https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/brew-...YVxZmZsAY3BcdBDQBxh6tjp_CRMV88wBoCH2QQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back