Converting a Tea Urn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michking

Reaction score
Sorry if dumb question but we have a 20l Tea Urn which has a dial, but simply turns the heating element on or off (so it is either boiling over or not boiling at all) - what do we need to do to convert this to be able to adjust the heating element intensity?

If too much work will just leave as HLT but would be nice to make it more useful for small batches maybe....

I use the "ACE" tea urn that does have temp control. I understand the problem with most tea urns is not that they boil over but that they click off before the rolling boil. Mine goes up to 110c so it does boil, but I find just leaving the lid off stops it boiling over. I have used it as a mash tun by setting the thermostat at the mashing temp, but when it clicks on it goes up about 8 degrees which is not a fine enough adjustment. I might just try jug recirculation of the bottom liquor as thats the bit that gets hot. Still in the experimental stage!!
(PS. all the kettle element boilers dont have a thermostat)

oldjiver said:
...I have used it as a mash tun by setting the thermostat at the mashing temp, but when it clicks on it goes up about 8 degrees which is not a fine enough adjustment. I might just try jug recirculation of the bottom liquor as thats the bit that gets hot. Still in the experimental stage!!
(PS. all the kettle element boilers dont have a thermostat)

I've been planning on getting a tea urn to use as a mash tun as I found one the right size for me with a thermostat, but the issue of temperature control has now put me off. Would it be possible to somehow adjust the interval for when the thermostat cuts in and out so that there isn't such a dramatic fluctuation in temperature? I'm wondering if there is something simple like a preset potentiometer that could be adjusted?

Dennis

Since buying my urn, I have now bought a IGLOO mash tun, so I wont be experimenting any more. I would imagine that thermal inertia would level it out a bit, so worth a try.

Sounds like a reasonable enough plan - however, I was wanting to utilize the built-in temperature control to avoid too much messing about and make it look as neat/elegant as possible. So I think I'll stick with my no-heat mash tun and do decoction as and when I need to do stepped mashes (which isn't often!). But thank you none-the-less for the suggestion!

Dennis

dennisdk2000 said:
Sounds like a reasonable enough plan - however, I was wanting to utilize the built-in temperature control to avoid too much messing about and make it look as neat/elegant as possible. So I think I'll stick with my no-heat mash tun and do decoction as and when I need to do stepped mashes (which isn't often!). But thank you none-the-less for the suggestion!

Dennis

I would avoid heated mash tun. You do not want to scorch or kill the enzymes. By only warming the mash with the herms system I avoid this. A well insulated mash tun will hold the temp of the mash for a 22.5 litre batch quite well.

Latest posts

Back