converting an electric pot to not be electric anymore

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eightbitraptor

Reaction score
Hey folks

I'm fruitlessly searching for a 20 litre kettle at the moment to use on my wok burner. Was originally planning on getting the SS Brewtech 5.5 (US) Gallon one, but I emailed Malt Miller and they confirmed they weren't getting any more in as it's all been replaced with the much larger (and more expensive) TC stuff.

Anyway - it turns out that 20L is an unusual size - I found a Brewferm 25L in stock in a few places. I also found a Klarstein 25L also in stock - but these are way more expensive than the SS Brewtech one and look like lesser quality to me.

The other thing I found was these 20 Ltr Electric Boiler with Tap, Hop Strainer and Thermometer which look great! But it looks like they use kettle elements, and I can't be bothered faffing around with temp controllers and burnt out elements (I'm doing extract brews right now, looking to do BIAB soon).

How feasible is it to remove the element and seal up the hole where it used to be - is this possible? or am I looking for a lifetime of leaking hot wort and sanitation problems?

Cheers Folks

It says on that listing that you fit the element yourself. Give them a call and see if they can not drill the hole for it!

it also says the pot is 30L in the description.

Oh, it’s also 201 grade steel which I believe is more prone to rust than the normal 304, probably why it’s so cheap!

Back