Cool Brewing Fermentation Bags

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOW MUCH? :mad1: In winter my 100w aquarium heater and 40 litre trug (costing less than £20) keeps a 23 litre brew nice and warm, even sitting in a garage where the ambient temperature falls to about 4 degrees!:thumb1:In summer we dream of weather so hot that the ambient temperature in the garage gets higher than 22 degrees!:laugh:Personally, I would give this a miss and use the £52 to buy a second hand Brew Fidge!:gulp:

Dutto the cool bag is designed to keep whatever you are fermenting cool and as Myqul has posted they do an excellent job by simply using frozen pop bottles of water some members will not have space for a brew fridge and if you can find one delivered for £52 give me a shout and I will buy one.

Yeah I use one and its great, I don't have space for a fridge footprint at least all the time anyway.. I can keep this in the office and brwe all year round at 18ºc.. I even brewed a lager down at 12ºc with this. You just have to be organised with the water bottle change

Very handy if you don't have spare for a fridge but if you do then it's dream just setting the Inkbird and letting it look after itself.

As has been mentioned, I have one (and I paid more then £52 as they werent available in the UK at the time). If you havent got the space for a fridge these are great as they can also be squashed down to be stored away.

I sometimes use mine to pseudo lager at 14C/15C, and during the summer my brewing corner in the kitchen can get up to about 25C ambient (so 27C ish in the FV). So using the bag I can maintain correct fermentation temps

As Cov says you have to be a bit organised to swap out the ice bottles but you can do at a minimum of once per day (I do it twice). When fermenting my brew bag is a couple of feet away from my freezer on the kitchen floor. So its quite simple to do

Where are you all living?:confused1:In the UK the highest average temperature is in August, at 16 degrees celsius!
http://projectbritain.com/weather/average.htm

The floor of an unheated outhouse will be less.:thumb1:I appreciate that not everyone has the room for a Brew Fridge but my own secondhand Brew Fridge cost £50 delivered. (*) It came guaranteed for a year and was more expensive than others in the shop because it's a Larder Fridge with no freezer compartment. :thumb1: At the moment (just checked) there are six fridges for sale on Shpock for £50 or less. They are all within 25 miles of me.:thumb1:The "winter Brew Fridge" (i.e. it only heats) was free and Northshore Caravan Site still has a couple more available if anyone wants to pick one up.:thumb1: (*) The price is as per SWMBO who keeps a very close eye on how much my brewing activities cost! Personally I think it cost £10 more but SWMBO thinks it was £10 less. The difference may be because I lied to her when I got the fridge!:laugh:

Where are you all living?:confused1:In the UK the highest average temperature is in August, at 16 degrees celsius!
http://projectbritain.com/weather/average.htm

The floor of an unheated outhouse will be less.:thumb1:I appreciate that not everyone has the room for a Brew Fridge but my own secondhand Brew Fridge cost £50 delivered. (*) It came guaranteed for a year and was more expensive than others in the shop because it's a Larder Fridge with no freezer compartment. :thumb1: At the moment (just checked) there are six fridges for sale on Shpock for £50 or less. They are all within 25 miles of me.:thumb1:The "winter Brew Fridge" (i.e. it only heats) was free and Northshore Caravan Site still has a couple more available if anyone wants to pick one up.:thumb1: (*) The price is as per SWMBO who keeps a very close eye on how much my brewing activities cost! Personally I think it cost £10 more but SWMBO thinks it was £10 less. The difference may be because I lied to her when I got the fridge!:laugh:

Although it say 16C average temp in that link, it doesnt give a lot more info. Is it averaging the night and day temps? There will of course be big temp swings over day and night and different days of the month (It was definately more than 16C in London during last August) and temps swings are even worse for fermations than a constant too high a temp.

You talk a lot about brew fridges in the above post, and given the option I would have definately gone for a brewfridge as there better and cheaper than the brew bag, but personally I think the whole point of the brew bag is for people who, a brew fridge isnt an option

Back