Coolbox mash tun tap mod

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, bit of a slow Sunday afternoon and decided to experiment with my mash tun tap.

I put enough water in the coolbox to cover the tap outlet, adjusted the level so it was kind of horizontal and timed how long it took to empty. Why you ask? Cos I can.
785BC3E3-1E7D-4E1C-B4AB-4B65D02719D2.jpeg

So 7 minutes later, the last drop of water dripped. When I measured the water left in the bottom...
8A9A9A34-A81B-4917-AE5C-11181AA3EB16.jpeg

...almost 1300 mls! Yes, I know you can tip the coolbox to tease the last drops out, which is what I’ve been doing, but my methods engineer training keeps clicking in and asking “is it really necessary?”.
This is where the stainless steel elbow comes to the rescue ashock1. Male threads ground off...
B4958F66-344B-400A-B070-7CBC7FE82CAA.jpeg

..said elbow is fitted (with a couple of winds of PTFE tape) to the end of the nipple holding the tap.
41BF22DE-0952-4526-BD2D-9DEEEA1CDBEC.jpeg

The water used in the previous test was returned to the coolbox, the tap opened and the outlet hose bled of air. 45 seconds later the last drop dripped (again) and there was..
35963DCC-4941-4346-819A-0BEF30E29B04.jpeg

...barely 100 mls of water left in the tun.

So, we can conclude that fitting an elbow inside the mash tun to create a syphon provides more efficient drainage by reducing time and waste (that’s if you can’t be arsed to tip it up) and I should get a life and find more meaningful things to do with my time. :coat:

Check out my brew day thread, The chaos that is brew day at Buffers Brewery. (I don’t know how to put a link in here). But yes Clint, I line my mash tun with a kind of BIAB net to stop grain stuff blocking my pumps more than anything.
Last brew I did I put my numbers in to the calculator on here and it came out at 79%. Don’t believe it! asad.

Latest posts

Back