Cooling a garage.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pms67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, sorry I’m not sure how to start a new thread on my phone and just typed in Ventilation
Can anyone pass in any tips on keeping a large garage cool? I have a 4.5 m x 2.5m wooden shed/garage and it gets way too hot, I’m happy to install extraction but I’m not sure what works best, one drawing air in and one out high level or something else????
Any help appreciated
Cheers

An
Hi guys, sorry I’m not sure how to start a new thread on my phone and just typed in Ventilation
Can anyone pass in any tips on keeping a large garage cool? I have a 4.5 m x 2.5m wooden shed/garage and it gets way too hot, I’m happy to install extraction but I’m not sure what works best, one drawing air in and one out high level or something else????
Any help appreciated
Cheers
Anyone?

ta

I'd probably say that a good, thick layer of insulation is the first thing.

Another really effective method, particularly as it is wooden, is to paint it white which will reflect the sun. Unfortunately, its the roof which would be most effective but I'm assuming that it will have a felt roof so probably not that practical. Nevertheless, going for a light colour on the walls will be surprisingly effective.

And, assuming it's exposed to quite a lot of sunlight, if you could put up some sort of screen to shield it from direct sun, that would be really effective.

I work in a school and we used to have a few Portacabins which we used these methods on. Thankfully, they've been replaced now but these methods all really helped to stop the kids from cooking.

Cheers mate
As a quick measure I’ve added a high level 150mm Vent-axia extractor fan and cut out 2 low level 9x6 vents from Toolstation and it seems to be helping quite a bit, I will try and insulate it at some point and change the windows to opening versions as it’s a cracking space.

Any help appreciated
Cheers
Had the same problem when I lived in Poole. It was a block built and rendered garage with a flat roof. I put 4" of sheet insulation between the rafters and it solved the problem overnight. You may need to dry line the walls if they're wood, but go for the roof first. Should imagine rockwool will do just as well.

it will definitely be insulation that will help the most. I'm not sure if you intend to use your garage all year round, but you will find that it is too cold in the winter.

You may be better, if you have the space and are happy to give up room, to create a small room/cupboard within your garage out of a few sheets of ply with insulation etc...That would be much easier to control the temperature all year round perhaps with your fan for the summer and a small tubular heater for the winter. Just a thought.

Let us know how you get on.

If you want to keep a large garage cool, then your first step is going to be insulation. About ten years ago I did this to my concrete similarly sized garage, and turned it into a 2 roomed workshop.
I insulated with a mix of fibreglass rolls insulation and foam board(celotex etc.). If I were doing this again... I would 100% save up the money and do it entirely in foamboard insulation. It's more expensive per sq metre, but it's so much easier to use and far quicker also, and the degree of insulation can be very good if you use the thicker boards.
If you spend some time researching you can often find reasonable prices on multiples with delivery. Get some proper jointing aluminium tape also.
If you can achieve 100% coverage internally, including the floor, then you will produce a temperature stable interior. Fluctuations outside will affect it inside, but slowly. this means that in the winter, a small heat source such as a greenhouse heater tube will be pretty effective. And during the summer opening any windows during the night and closing during the day will help keep it cooler.
In my workshop, I have a heavily insulated "oven" made from MDF and more foamboard. It has greenhouse heaters in it and an Inkbird style system to maintain a temp. It has no cooling, but during the summer I can maintain about 20c min by opening it up in the night. I also have a large secondhand(cheap) fridge freezer in the room, and if I want to chill or keep low fermentation temps I use that.

Insulation is key......

I already have two temp controlled fridges in my small shed, the large shed/wooden garage is more of a man cave, couch,tv, PlayStation etc.
It looks like insulation is the way to go once the lockdown is over.

Latest posts

Back