Coopers, Australian Pale Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I start brewing this one last Friday, and after only 4 days it has reached 1.004, but I'm going to wait almost two weeks, due to advice read in this thread :D
I'm new to homebrewing and this is my second time brewing (first one with a kit of brewferm blanche, and it tasted good), and I'm not using Beer Enhancer. Do it changes a lot beer taste and quality? It's good to use with any beer or just with recommended ones?

I think I'm gonna use too the same amount of sugar you're talking about here, just because last beer I brewed taste very fizzy, and a couple of bottles exploded.

Brewed this for the first time with 1kg of Muntons beer enhancer. I have added about 18g of amarillo pellets and 18g of cascade hop flowers (dried) after the initial fermentation died down. Be interested to see how this compares and contrasts with the Simply Pale Ale kit which I have also added both hop additions to.

I wasn't too fond of this one, there wasn't that much taste in at all. Mixed the kit with 550g of Light DME and 250g of caster sugar (sucrose). Light fruitiness but not enough of it and a mild bitterness, aroma smelt of sulphur for awhile then improved after a few weeks. Could be the sugar I added :oops: . Probably could do with 1kg of Light DME instead.

The sulphur smell was probably due to the yeast containing a mix of lager and ale yeast im brewing this one up today with added hops either Goldings or fuggles :cheers:

I've got a Tesco sale Coopers Australian Pale Ale to do next week when I get back from holiday. I was going to do it with a pack of BE2 (also Tesco), a 150g crystal malt 'extract', plus dry hopping with 35g Cascade.
Has anybody got any other additions they use for this kit which lifts it, which I could consider?
Ta.

I did this kit with just 1kg brew enhancer, has come out very clear with good head retention, very dry 1004fg, just a bit bland tasting. Needs hop addition. Not a patch on the Simply pale ale version.

My 'Tesco sale' Coopers AuPA kit has just come into its own two months after bottling.
Brewed only slightly short at 22 litres, in addition to the kit it had 'extras' of 1 kg Coopers BE2, plus an infusion of 150 g crystal malt and 12 g cascade in at the start, with 12g each of Cascade and First Gold as dry hop additions.
It has a deep golden colour and comes over with a subtle caramelized orange marmalade taste and the Cascade hops are still giving up their aroma.
The carbonation level of just under 6g table sugar per litre has worked well.
My only slight criticism is that it doesn't hold the lacing down the glass, but perhaps this is to be expected given the type of kit.
I will definitely do this again :thumb:

Back when I was doing kits this was go to kit to make for my lager drinking friends. I found it a bit bland and homebrewy but a good kit for dry hopping or adding other ingredients like honey

Its a good beer I always add hops though either goldings or fuggles both work well in a hop tea although I have found john bull IPA far better than any coopers drink, also I use gervin/Nottingham yeast with mostly all my brews now I actually think Nottingham yeast is better than safale/saflager

Just opened mine after 10 days conditioning in the garage, cleared nicely so thought it might be ready.

Upon tasting, I can’t describe it but it wasn’t good!

Now is this likely down to opening it after only 10 days? Or something more sinister?

Did you manage to finish it or did you tip it? If it's something more sinister most likely you would have tipped it. Like TerryM said, I found the Coopers kits good after 2 months in the bottle.

I’ve left it in the garage as it might just be too early.

I’ll try again at 2 months and see how it is

I’ve left it in the garage as it might just be too early.

I’ll try again at 2 months and see how it is

Well, I’ve left it alone as promised and cracked one open tonight!

I take it all back. The beer was lovely, I was obviously just a bit impatient

Both madjules and I have been all grain brewing for a long time but we both loved this kit as a base for dry hopping. It was a great kit to test different hop flavours in. Lovely carbonation and mouth feel too I remember.

Latest posts

Back