Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale

Discussion in 'Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews.' started by terrym, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Nov 1, 2017 #1

terrym

terrym

terrym

Member Supporting Member

I tried one of these to see what it was like. No-one seems to have reviewed it so here goes...
    First the Coopers blurb promised that it was an "American style Pale Ale" with " rich amber colour, toffee malt flavours, citrus and pine hop aromas, a refreshing bitter finish and thick creamy head".
    Second this kit shares the same yeast as their (newish ) Brew A IPA and as I had had problems with this kit yeast I decided to use the some of the trub from a tweaked Coopers AuPA which had gone well.
    Wot I did....
    - Kit can
    - Yeast as above
    - Micro mash ..250g Pale Malt, 100g Torrified Wheat, 125g Crystal Malt
    - 500g Dark DME instead of 500g Light DME as I had intended :doh:
    - 500g Dextrose
    I had intended to use Cascade hops on this one but since the mistake with the dark DME had changed things I used EKG instead. So to give it a bit of additional hop flavour I boiled 5 g of EKG with the micromash wort for 10 mins.
    Brewed to 22 litres , OG 1.045
    Water bath at 19*C.
    Racked off at day 11 and dry hopped with 50g EKG for 7 days. FG 1.006 (which surprised me).
    Carbed up quickly so into fridge for a week, before trying the first one tonight, and ...was underwhelmed.
    Although its early days all the promises in the blurb have not been met. I certainly cannot detect any citrus and even my EKG tweaks are not very noticeable.
    For me this kit falls in the same category as the Brew A IPA i.e. it doesn't meet the glowing descriptions that Coopers have given it.
    So unless it significantly improves as it matures I shan't bother with another one.

LarryF and Godsdog like this.
  2. Dec 5, 2017 #2

terrym

terrym

terrym

Member Supporting Member

Update..
    Its now about 7 weeks since I bottled this and I've sort of changed my mind about it. It seems to have mellowed a bit. I still can't taste any citrus, but lots of toffee caramel in there and just a hint of roasty. Leaves a slight bitterness. For me a good balance of malt and hops. A bit of lacing but the head does die quite quickly. It might just turn into one I try again.

3. Dec 5, 2017 #3

yeastinfection

yeastinfection

yeastinfection

Regular. Supporting Member

ive done 2 kits, one cider and a coopers lager. both of them very dissapointing ,very thin and tasteless , thats why i went on to AG,

4. Dec 5, 2017 #4

terrym

terrym

terrym

Member Supporting Member

Thankyou for that.
    Most enlightening :thumb:
    I hope you have better success in your move to AG, now you appear to have written off all kits after only one attempt at beer and the other cider.
    That aside, how is what you have said related to a review of this particular kit? :doh:

LarryF likes this.