Coopers Bottles? Good or Bad please help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do they effect the taste of the beer?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Good for up to 6 months

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
I don't think that they are the same; the Coopers bottles have an oxygen barrier layer built into the plastic which I think is missing from cheaper bottles.

Oh hang on, I've answered a question that wasn't asked. Anyway it's a point worth making, not all PET bottles are the same.

I started with the Coopers 500ml, had them for a while, but had some issues with getting stubborn yeast out of the awkwardly shaped bottoms, and the odd leaking cap. I also like to use both 500 and 330ml bottles depending on the ABV, so decided glass was the way to go, just as cheap (if not cheaper or free), more practical, look and feel better. PET are OK if you bottle and drink on a short time frame, not a fan of them for storing beer for more than a 3-6 months.

I also find them a bit annoying when empty whilst prepping for bottling, knock one over and they go down like dominoes.

Last edited:
I've recently been drinking my third batch to get bottled in a mixture of glass bottles and coopers 740's. I can say that there is no difference in the beer from each type of bottle. Not that I noticed anyway.
Carbonation wasn't different across the two types either, which was something I was particularly looking out for.
All PET bottles have been used multiple times, I would say reusage ranges from 8-12 times. Maybe more.

If I was going to buy more bottles I think I'd go for PET due to quality of product and convenience. I've never actually compared prices though. If glass were considerably cheaper I'd probably go glass but I have a feeling there's little to no difference in price.

Latest posts

Back