Coopers, Canadian Blonde Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of doing this kit with a can of Cooper's light malt extract and an extra 500g of brewing sugar. Also considering extra hops. Any thoughts of which sort to use, and to dry hop it or hop tea?

Yeah, sounds good to me. The Coopers kits are great for tweaking, so give it a go. With the lighter Coopers beers my personal favourite additions are one kg of Brew Enhancer 1, 500grms of light DME and a 20grm dry hop of Cascade. But like I said, they're great for tweaking to suit personal tastes, so have fun with it!

Hop it!! I did this kit in Jan and drinking it now. I hopped half with Cascade and left half as is. The hopped half is fantastic and it makes the unhopped half taste quite bland by comparison. I short brewed, so it worked out I put 20g of Cascade hop pellets in a muslin bag, for four days after initial fermentation had finished, in to 9 litres of brew. I very much regret not hopping the lot. I bottled a Lager last week and made sure I hopped the lot!

I would definitely endorse this using a Coopers Lager kit to make a more modern Pale Ale using a hop addition. :hat:

I have the Canadian in an FV at the moment, im hoping for a nice summer around the barbeque drink :D

Brewed with

1KG Light malt
1KG Muntons Brewenhancer
150g chyrstal
Mango Jacks M10 workhorse yeast
hopped with a mix of cascade and some east kent as i found i had less than i thought.......

Hi guys just updating from last time I was on, tried one beer each week after bottling and can honestly say that this beer tastes better the longer left, As I mentioned before I thought it was quite strong tasting at front of mouth and back of the mouth/throat ( something im not fond of at all ), but slowly but surely with it being left to carbonate more it started to subside, After almost 3 weeks in bottles I ended up putting this in the fridge at around 4 degrees and after only a few days in there I tried 1 and my God, was this the nicest beer I have ever drank, Really glad I purchased this kit and waited on it, Roll on Friday evening so can enjoy a few more. Thanks to all on this thread for info and help, Oh and another canadian in post as we speak. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I brewed this with 1kg Coopers Brew Enhance 1 plus 250g brewing sugar. Brewed to 23litres, Starting Gravity was 1048.

Got down to 1014 and bottled on 16/3/15, batch primed with 180g of Tate and Lyle sugar.

This has now been cold conditioning for 4 weeks and is developing into a very decent pint. I had a couple of pints of draught Moretti at a local pub yesterday then had one of these when back home and would say my Canadian Blonde tasted very similar to the Moretti - no bad thing !

Mines about two months old and Ive loved this brew... Unfortunately I'm down two my last two bottles :-( I've got another kit must puy on ASAP!!

This is my Canadian Blonde, bottled on 16/03/15, bulk primed 22litres with 180gm of tate and lyle. Its now had roughly 10 weeks in the bottle (2 weeks warm and 8 weeks in the garage)

Carbing is spot on for a lager, nice head when poured and then holds a head to the bottom.

EDIT: A few of the bottles I opened last night were a bit lively - would probably go with 160gms priming sugar for 22l next time.

Decent pint this - a lot like Moretti to my taste !

Canadian Blonde 160315.jpg

Looks cracking! Shame about the weather - that brew should be enjoyed in the garden on a sunny day!!

Hi Spapro

That does indeed look good, A great advert for the one can Coopers light beers. 3 months really does turn these into very decent beer indeed, that makes the supermarket lager appear a very poor substitute.

Never been disappointed by these kits and they make a brilliant start point for additions and experiments.

Hi Spapro

That does indeed look good, A great advert for the one can Coopers light beers. 3 months really does turn these into very decent beer indeed, that makes the supermarket lager appear a very poor substitute.

Never been disappointed by these kits and they make a brilliant start point for additions and experiments.

Cheers Slid,

Totally agree that the Coopers kits are a great base. Picked up a number of the Coopers kits and Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 in the Tesco direct sales.

Doing them mainly with whole grain minimashes to make pale ales (without Brew Enhancer) now but will continue to do a 'straight' Lager Kit + Enhancer from time to time.

Recently done a Coopers Lager + BE1 and then dry hopped for 4 days before bottling with 50g of Cascade hop pellets. Thats been in the bottle for around 6 weeks now and is already an absolutely superb pint, All the Coopers lager style kits seem to be totally clear after carbing in the warm for 2 weeks.

This Canadian Blonde and the black label Coopers Heritage Lager are my favourite 'straight' lager kits which can be brewed at 'normal' temps.

Does the coppers heritage lager have an ale yeast? I was gonna do another European lager but it's a bit too warm now so looking for a decent 'lager' to do that has an ale yeast (I know I know it's not a real lager if it has ale yeast but.....)

Does the coppers heritage lager have an ale yeast? I was gonna do another European lager but it's a bit too warm now so looking for a decent 'lager' to do that has an ale yeast (I know I know it's not a real lager if it has ale yeast but.....)

The Coopers Heritage Lager (black label) uses a blended yeast - part ale yeast and part lager yeast. Ferments well at 18°C and results in a lovely pint with a sweet start and a crisp lager like finish.

For those of us without a brewing fridge its a great Lager kit option.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51113

Brewed 23L - 06/06/15 - 20/06/15 temp: no temp control so it's down to the weather.
11g Maribrew Yeast + 1tsp YN.
1Kg Youngs BE, 454g Lyons Golden Syrup
25g Galaxy Hops, 20m boil and added to FV
OG:1060

Very nice taste from the sampling jar, looking forward to this one. Got a bit of a hot FV so I'll be pitching the yeast at some point in the evening.

Latest posts

Back