Coopers canadian blonde

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm about to start a new brew, coopers canadian blonde, I noticed a lot of people change the beer enhancer to something else, so this is what I have. 2x500g muntons light spray malt, 1kg glucose powder and 1.2kg liquid light malt extract. If someone could advise on what to use and how much to use and the best temperature to ferment at please. Cheers

So just use the 1.2kg liquid malt extract on its own and nothing else, what temperature should I ferment at?

Hi, so I used the 1.2kg liquid malt extract, OG 1038, 10 days later its at about 1010 making it about 3.68 abv. Do you think it will get any lower as I'd like it to be over 4.0. Still seems to be activity in the FV. Sample had plenty of bubbles. Shall I just leave it alone or is there anything I could do. What abv should it be?

Hi, Leave it for at least 2 weeks in the FV, so 4 days to run, sometimes (not saying you have) you can not mix the malt thoroughly in the FV and when you take the OG reading it is a little thin giving you a lower OG, the malt from the can will dilute though whilst it's brewing therefore giving you a better ABV.

Hi, Leave it for at least 2 weeks in the FV, so 4 days to run, sometimes (not saying you have) you can not mix the malt thoroughly in the FV and when you take the OG reading it is a little thin giving you a lower OG, the malt from the can will dilute though whilst it's brewing therefore giving you a better ABV.
OK thanks for the quick reply

@Libigage
Your measured OG was in good agreement with the calculated one of 1.037. At 1.010 you are unlikely to go down by more than another point or two, but as @Banbeer has said leave it for the full two weeks, perhaps find a cool place if you have one at the end for day or two to help it clear. And be aware that alcohol from the priming process can contribute just over 0.2% if that's important to you .
Finally it would be interesting to learn, when you get to finally sample this beer, whether you can detect any twang, due to using 2.9kg LME.

Last edited:
@Libigage
Your measured OG was in good agreement with the calculated one of 1.037. At 1.010 you are unlikely to go down by more than another point or two, but as @Banbeer has said leave it for the full two weeks, perhaps find a cool place if you have one at the end for day or two to help it clear. And be aware that alcohol from the priming process can contribute just over 0.2% if that's important to you .
Finally it would be interesting to learn, when you get to finally sample this beer, whether you can detect any twang, due to using 2.9kg LME.
OK thanks, I'll let you know, do you think it would get better with age?

OK thanks, I'll let you know, do you think it would get better with age?
Can't really say. If you had done it with DME or DME/dextrose as I would have suggested it would have probably conditioned quicker than the LME version in my view. All you can do is to open one about 4 weeks from bottling and if its drinkable but a bit meh, leave it another week or two and try again, and if you can hold out, keep doing that until you notice no improvement and then you may as well get stuck in.

Can't really say. If you had done it with DME or DME/dextrose as I would have suggested it would have probably conditioned quicker than the LME version in my view. All you can do is to open one about 4 weeks from bottling and if its drinkable but a bit meh, leave it another week or two and try again, and if you can hold out, keep doing that until you notice no improvement and then you may as well get stuck in.
I'm thinking of starting another one just to stock up. I have 2x500g of muntons light spray malt and 1 kg of dextrose. Or should I just get coopers enhancer? Any suggestions?

Its very light beer. I only did one and thought it quite bland. Anyway my suggestion is to use all DME or 500g DME and 500g dextrose and add some hops as a dry hop or a hop tea which will give the beer a real lift. I regularly use US Cascade and this would suit the style quite well.

Great advice thanks terrym, I appreciate everybody's taste is different, so I would like to spice it up a bit. I dry hopped my festival summer glory, but it leaves alot of mess floating but I'd like to add some hops. Could you please advise on how much cascade to dry hop or(and) how to make hop tea and when to add either. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back