Coopers dark ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig's brew

Reaction score
Hi everyone im a newbie, I'm brewing a coopers dark ale extract 21 ltrs I've added extra fermentables OG 1064 it's been in primary 2wks used saf ale 05 , sg 10.16 past 2 readings, temps consistently 18c even tho I've put room heater on I've also tried giving it a gentle swirl. Any advice would be appreciated cheers

US 05 is the yeast I usually use and would say that it performs fine in the low 20's C. Also, my experience is that 1.010 to 1.013 is more the expected finishing gravity. If you have the option, you could try a few more days at a slightly higher temp and then bottle.

Won't come to much harm bottling now, as first brews rarely last very long in the bottle!

Yeah but if it stays 10.16 or even 10.14
how much sugar would I use when it comes to bulk priming (brewing sugar) the last thing I want is bottle bombs 😟

Also, my experience is that 1.010 to 1.013 is more the expected finishing gravity.

Same here, but that's with much lower OG brews 1045-1050 or so.

As the OP has a much higher OG of 1064, the FG is likely to be higher. Plugging the figures, 1064-1016 is 75% yeast attenuation which is pretty respectable, I usually get a little more with US05 but wouldn't expect the FG to drop much below 1014 (78% attenuation). Best I've ever got is 80%, which would be an FG of 1013, but it's only got this low once.

I always use half a teaspoon per bottle (500ml). This works for me and results in lightly-carbonated beer: I'm never very scientific with priming as I find some yeasts carry on fermenting a bit in the bottle, producing gushers or even bottle bomsbs, so I always err on the safe side.

I checked out my priming calculator and for 21 litres for 1.7. Volumes you would need 65.9 grams table sugar so roughly 3grams per litre , hope this helps , give it a couple of weeks to secondary ferment , preferably where the primary fermentation took place . The calculator I use is brewersfriend .com , check it out is well handy

Latest posts

Back