coopers devil's half.

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

hugh mcc

Reaction score
just finishing first fermentation and instructions say bottle, has anyone kegged this particular brew ? TIA

the baron

Landlord.
Reaction score
How long have it been fermenting as the kit instructions are always very optimistic

the baron

Landlord.
Reaction score
Leave it for 14 days if possible. The kit manufacturers are very optimistic in the fermentation times as they want to purvey the message that you can buy a kit and be drinking it in 10 days, you can if you really want but the consensus of opinions from established brewers on this forum is 2 weeks to ferment 2 weeks in the bottle to carbonate then 2 weeks to condition. What you will not know if you are newish to brewing is that the kit will generally have fermented by the first week but then the yeast has to clean itself up to get rid of some of the off flavours created by the fermentation process hence 14 days. Your beer will be better for it. If you barrel which i do not do because I use corny kegs it again depends on the type of beer and how much carbonation you want in it. I am not the expert on this but I think a average of 80 to 120 g per 40 pints is a good place to start
Somebody will give you more exact figures i am sure
Then store in a warm place @20c for upto 14 days then condition or drink if you are really inpatient however it will improve with time and clear more aswell

hugh mcc

Reaction score
Leave it for 14 days if possible. The kit manufacturers are very optimistic in the fermentation times as they want to purvey the message that you can buy a kit and be drinking it in 10 days, you can if you really want but the consensus of opinions from established brewers on this forum is 2 weeks to ferment 2 weeks in the bottle to carbonate then 2 weeks to condition. What you will not know if you are newish to brewing is that the kit will generally have fermented by the first week but then the yeast has to clean itself up to get rid of some of the off flavours created by the fermentation process hence 14 days. Your beer will be better for it. If you barrel which i do not do because I use corny kegs it again depends on the type of beer and how much carbonation you want in it. I am not the expert on this but I think a average of 80 to 120 g per 40 pints is a good place to start
Somebody will give you more exact figures i am sure
Then store in a warm place @20c for upto 14 days then condition or drink if you are really inpatient however it will improve with time and clear more aswell
thanks will give that a go still supping my last brew so no real rush.

Jonnymac

Reaction score
I put this in a corny over Christmas. Used 500g DME, 500 granulated sugar and 300 demerara sugar. Fermented 2 weeks, kegged up for 2 days in the warm before moving it to a cooler room. Gassed it everyday and left it for a couple of weeks.
Wasn't great to start with, but after a few weeks it was very nice indeed.
Did you have any specific questions?

hugh mcc

Reaction score
have just kegged it and added 150 gr. coopers carbonation drops, and back into the airing cupboard for a while .and hope it don't blow up [the wife might get a tad cross] will let you know results. cheers .