Coopers draught sugar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petefin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After a very successful first kit, I'm now on to No. 2.
I have an Original series Coopers draught kit but can't find any instructions on how much brewing sugar to add to the kit!
The instructions say "add the fermentables" and even their Web site tells me nothing. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious but can't find any info.
So how much brewing sugar should I add to the kit, I would prefer to keep it to around 4% if possible?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Pete

In my order of preference. All 1 kg but you could add more, say up to 1.5kg total. Table sugar, dextrose/brewing sugar, half liquid or dried malt extract and half sugar, brew enhancer, all malt extract. The more malt you use the more malty the beer (not surprisingly)

I found the Coopers kits much the best of the one can kits and usually added 500g DME and 1kg of granulated sugar, brewed to 25L with results I was perfectly happy with.

Thanks for the replies guys.
What sort of strength am I liable to get with 1kg of brewing sugar?
Idealy, I would like to keep the strength between 3.5 & 4%.

Cheers, Pete

Depends on your SG and FG but I think that using three quarters of the bag will be ok for that strength but it's a science that a calculator probably exists for.

Thanks Banbeer,

I used 800g of brewing sugar & did a starter yeast brew. All in the brewing bucket last night. Good foam already & the spare room smelling great. My opinion, not my Wife's! :laugh8:

Cheers, Pete

After 48 hours, there is little or no foam on the top of the brewing bucket, is this normal? There was a good head of foam yesterday.
When I crack the lid open, all smells as expected, just thought I would see more foam for a longer period.
Any thoughts?

Cheers, Pete

Sometimes the early krausen dies but the fermentation is still active. I would put the lid on and leave it alone for another 5-6 days at which time it should be about done and you can take an SG reading. There is no point in taking a reading at present however, it will not tell you anything significant. Be aware many folks on here seemingly shut the lid after pitching and forget all about it for 2 weeks.

Be aware many folks on here seemingly shut the lid after pitching and forget all about it for 2 weeks.
Yes, this approach is "Best by Test", as the late RJF used to say, of opening with e4.

Hi Guys,

After a very successful first kit, I'm now on to No. 2.
I have an Original series Coopers draught kit but can't find any instructions on how much brewing sugar to add to the kit!
The instructions say "add the fermentables" and even their Web site tells me nothing. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious but can't find any info.
So how much brewing sugar should I add to the kit, I would prefer to keep it to around 4% if possible?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Pete

So, what became of this?

Hi dwhite60,
After the second fermentation in the barrel, I started to lose pressure. I obtained replacement square section O rings for the **** King keg cap and swapped them over, chucking in a little dissolved sugar to get a second secondary fermentation. I knew this was risking the batch but my options were limited. The barrel held pressure, but no more than a poor 5psi, but it now quite drinkable and I'm getting through it 😁.
But the route cause of the problem was the poor cap, my second barrel, when tested was worse, so a cure was required.
Have a look at my post; Better quality King keg cap, I now have a fix for both my barrels.

Cheers, Pete

Latest posts

Back