Coopers EU Lager Kit - Gone wrong already?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walshie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to home brew in general, but I love a good pint or 10.

I bought my first kit the other day, did some research and thought I'd start nice and easy with a Coopers European Lager.

Everything went well, I got the water temp to exactly 22 deg c, added the yeast, put it in my spare room which is a constant 22 deg c and within a few hours the bubbles were clearly visible in the airlock.

I then carried on my research and found that the EU lager should be brewed at a lower temperature range, as low as 13 deg c - so last night I moved my FV to the converservatory where it now sits at 14 deg c.

My worry is that with the FV been sat at 22deg c for the first 40 hours may affect the result? Just wondered if anyone could advise on this?

Cheers
Chris

not ideal but it probably hasnt ruined your beer its good you caught it reasonably early, yeast go through multiple phases initially taking as much of the nutrients and oxygen available before going on a growth phase and then chewing through sugars. Just try to ensure now that it remains in a stable temp range for remainder of fermentation and lagering. The good thing is with lagers this extended conditioning phase will mellow out the flavour anyway

Thanks, that's good. I've got a feeling that it's not going to be the end of my problems with this one. The conservatory fluctuates between 14 and 18 deg c at the minute and with the sun out today it itsn't going to help things. I thought the lager would be the easy option, i should have researched harder. I do have a Pilsner that I will put in another FV, that says room temperature so may be better.

Thanks again, I can see there being alot of trial and error here, but that's all part of the fun!

I think if you are going to be doing a lot of these types of styles I would pick up a 2nd hand fridge and buy a temp controller which can switch on and off to keep your temps you are then not reliant on the Great British weather.

I have the SS brewtech FTS temperature controllers with pump which I can recirculate in ice water this helps but only when the ambient temp is under about 18 otherwise its constant filling with ice. I have looked into the small glycol chiller but not sure I want to make that investment just for home brew when I can just focus on ales and buy good cheap lager at supermarkets (I live in Bayern)

Yeah good point. I genuinely need a new fridge, maybe I just buy a new one and stick my current one on the garage with some temp control athumb..

You can put the fermenter in a big bucket/trug filled with water which will create a bigger thermal mass and reduce temperature variation. You can also thrown in freezer blocks and ice to keep the temperature down. You just need to keep an eye on it every few hours doing it this way. A brew fridge is obviously ideal as you can just set and forget.

That's great news, I've noticed that the conservatory temp is now 18deg c and rising slowly.

What do you think would be better for it. Constant temp of 22 deg C in the spare room, or in conservatory with a varying temp between 14 and 20 deg c?

Cheers
Chris

I normally put mine in the coolest room in the house in winter, with the radiator turned off: can get down to 12-13C in there. The yeast can tolerate a wide temp range, it's better to keep it at a constant temp though.

Spot on, will try that. Got a feeling this is going to be a very useful forum!
I normally put mine in the coolest room in the house in winter, with the radiator turned off: can get down to 12-13C in there. The yeast can tolerate a wide temp range, it's better to keep it at a constant temp though.

I brewed one of them last September, I didn't see any mention about the lower temp. Just had it at shed temp with insulation and heater pad as needed. Would have been aiming for 20 or 22. Tasted great, was just thinking earlier that I need to get another one of them.

I did my first European lager at room temp and it was great. The second was in the cool garage and nowhere near as good.
Sounds good to me, it's currently sat at a stable 20 deg c. Hopefully ready to bottle this time next week

Latest posts

Back