Coopers euro lager eruption

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EveryoneKnowsADave

Reaction score
I think I've had a bit of a mare with the Cooper's European. I wanted to take a sample for gravity and also add some hops. I depressurised and in my haste, connected a pipe to the liquid post before adding the gas post.

Lesson learned, I should have had a party tap on there.

Anyway, I heard and saw lots of bubbling in the vessel. I quickly disconnected the tube from the liquid out post and the bubbling stopped.

Fearing the worst I thought sod it, I'll continue with my plan. I added 25g of saaz through the pressure valve and almost instantly the krausen erupted and the barrel repressurised. I've released the pressure manually 3 times since adding the hops, hoping that any o2 that might have been sucked in is now fully expelled and replaced by Co2 but there's still a lot of gas being created.

Is this 'eruption' a normal reaction to hop pellets? You can see on the photo the old krausen line and where the foam is now :oops:

Fwiw the sample tasted nice and had an gravity reading of 1.008.

20210225_182020.jpg

Alway release the pressure slowly, what psi have you been fermenting at?
I almost always ferment at 5 psi, then just as it is finishing raise it to 10 psi over the last few days.

Sudden release of pressure can cause it to foam up.

Latest posts

Back