Coopers European Lager Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Banging this one out, although I lacked instructions, so this thread has come in really useful.

500g light spray malt and 500g brewing sugar. Maybe lacking fermentables there, OG 1038. Supplied yeast has been used, pitched around 18° (I know, possibly too low) and set the stat to 15°, will see what comes of it but resolute in keeping it at this temp if I can, and for a few weeks.

Can I just dry hop this in a few days? What would people recommend if so? It's for my wife mainly, she likes an Estrella/Peroni (I'm under no illusions mine will be anything like these!).

After that it'll be up to 20° for a couple of days, primed with 140g sugar, bottled at around 16° for another 4 weeks then 8 more weeks sat. It'll be bloody Christmas by the time we drink it, properly dragged my heels with it.

Coopers say you should avoid using too much simple sugar on this. I only put malt in mine, no brewing sugar / dextrose at all.
The yeast supplied is a lager yeast. 18C would probably be OK to pitch the yeast at.
I pitched my yeast at about 20C and brought it down to 13C.
Hopefully 15C will be OK to ferment at. Sometimes you need two packets of yeast when brewing at low temperatures.
Terrym has mentioned in his previous posts that he had trouble fermenting his with one packet of yeast.
Keep an eye on it and raise the temperature a bit if you're worried.
Another thing with this beer is that Coopers recommend 12 weeks in the bottle before drinking.

Yes you can dry hop. I have no idea what hop go in those beers though. I've used Saaz & Halertau. Terrym mentions he used Motueka.
A quick google suggests people are recommending Saaz or Halertau for a Peroni clone.

Brewing Notes for European Lager

1. The yeast supplied with Coopers European Lager is a true lager strain. Lager yeast behaves differently to the normal Coopers Yeast.
  2. Avoid using too much simple sugar (white sugar, dextrose, etc.) as this will cause the lager yeast to ferment more thoroughly causing the beer to lack in body.
  3. Preferred brewing temperature is at the low end of the recommended range (i.e. 21°C). However, Coopers European Lager yeast will ferment as low as 13°C.
  4. Lower ferment temperatures extend the fermentation period. Ensure fermentation has finished before bottling.
  5. It is common for lager yeast to produce a smell like eggs when fermenting. This should dissipate as the beer conditions in the bottle.
  6. Coopers European Lager may require conditioning for 12 weeks in the bottle before consuming.

Super, thanks very much. If worst comes to the worst I'll mitigate the type and quantity of fermentables by upping the temp a little.

Hi all,

What temperatures are we looking at to prime and condition? I was thinking 3 weeks at 20° then 12 weeks at 12°, unless priming uses the lower temps suggested for first fermentation?

Also can I be confident that having cold crashed at 3° for 2 days will be enough to have sent saaz hop pellets to the bottom, or should I find a little filter bag for the end of the racking cane?

Ta

Last edited:
Hi all,

What temperatures are we looking at to prime and condition? I was thinking 3 weeks at 20° then 12 weeks at 12°, unless priming uses the lower temps suggested for first fermentation?

Also can I be confident that having cold crashed at 3° for 2 days will be enough to have sent saaz hop pellets to the bottom, or should I find a little filter bag for the end of the racking cane?

Ta

I'd be cold crashing longer than that if I were you. That's if you have more time that is.
The conditioning sounds good though.

I'd be cold crashing longer than that if I were you. That's if you have more time that is.
The conditioning sounds good though.

No tiiime! Haha. I'm in no rush, it'll still be summer come 13th August. In the UK I mean

I ended up finding a crafty little permeable gift bag left over from our wedding a few years ago, washed and sanitised it, did a great job keeping all the byproducts away from the siphon. Glad we didn't throw those out!

I reckon to have gone a little hop-heavy, getting on for 35g saaz pellets. They smelt nowhere near as bold as cascade, of which I recently used double that amount in a recent brew. Time will tell if I judged it right.

Cheers Pete

6 weeks maturing and haven't touched a single bottle. Half way to 12 weeks. In this heat.

I deserve a bl00dy medal for this.

Hi all,

Ta
For lager it should be more like 2 or 3 weeks at 12c the 4 to 6 weeks at 0c to 4c .
Letting it sit for 12 weeks at 12c is a waste of time and if anything will be detrimental to the beer. Also I doubt it will taste much like lager after 3 weeks fermenting at ale temperature 20c.

For lager it should be more like 2 or 3 weeks at 12c the 4 to 6 weeks at 0c to 4c .
Letting it sit for 12 weeks at 12c is a waste of time and if anything will be detrimental to the beer. Also I doubt it will taste much like lager after 3 weeks fermenting at ale temperature 20c.

You'd be surprised, as I understand the European lager kit has lager yeast in it rather than ale yeast? There's a huge thread over at HBT about warm fermented lagers. A lot of them seem to use -w-34/70 fermented at 20C and above and seem to be getting good results. Never tried it myself mind

Next time I do a lager I will follow the Brulosophy fast lager method, gelatine and cold crash for a few days. I’ll have it bottled within three weeks.

Just about kicked a keg of this, brewed short to 20 litres with a kilo of light DME.

It alright. Not brilliant. Probably will make again for a party if generic swill is required, but probably wouldn't make it again for myself.

OK I put this in last wed
Euro larger tin
1.2 Liquid beer enhancer light
1 pakt Spray malt
1pkt light dme
Redigs at 18c 1.056 so added About 5oz dextrose
So about 1.060 I think
Pitched yeast at 18c too 22ltres
Temp dropped to 15 and after 24hrs only a blip every 2.5 mins with no foam.
Slowly agitated yeast added 1tsp yeast nutrient dissolved and a sprinkle of sarelarger yeast moved to 18c for 12hrs and ferment became steady so now back at 15c slow but steady ferment.
Does this sound OK for now. Thanks

OK I put this in last wed
Euro larger tin
1.2 Liquid beer enhancer light
1 pakt Spray malt
1pkt light dme
Redigs at 18c 1.056 so added About 5oz dextrose
So about 1.060 I think
Pitched yeast at 18c too 22ltres
Temp dropped to 15 and after 24hrs only a blip every 2.5 mins with no foam.
Slowly agitated yeast added 1tsp yeast nutrient dissolved and a sprinkle of sarelarger yeast moved to 18c for 12hrs and ferment became steady so now back at 15c slow but steady ferment.
Does this sound OK for now. Thanks

I'm kind of struggling to understand all the fermentables you used there.
How much did the packet of Spray Malt weigh? And the Light dry malt extract. What weight.

It just sounds a lot of fermentables. At 1.060 one packet of yeast might struggle with that.
Especially at a low temperature. I'd up it to 16C. Definitely no lower than it is now.

Lager doesn't get a krausen (foam). But if it's fermenting let it go.

The coopers euro malt tin plus think muntons 1.2 kg light beer enhancer and 500g of light spray malt and a bit of dextrose about 5 oz ish
I added a little sprinkle of safelarger yeast with coopers yeast, it's cold and slow again at moment though.

Last edited:
In fact too cold and slow so lifting temp to about 18c for rest of fermentation. Hope it turns out like this leffe blonde I'm swigging, I'd make nothing much else larger wise, amazing.

Last edited:
In fact too cold and slow so lifting temp to about 18c for rest of fermentation. Hope it turns out like this leffe blonde I'm swigging, I'd make nothing much else larger wise, amazing.
The Coopers yeast is Lager yeast. Which Saflager yeast did you use?
I've done a Euro Lager with 1.5kg of Light Dry Malt before at 13C. But I used two packets of yeast.
If I were you I'd stick at 18C if that's where it's at.
Don't take any notice of the airlock.

You'll have to bottle it and leave it for a few months before trying it. Next time I'd add some Saaz hops if I were you.
Hallertau is the other hop that people use with this one.

Along with coopers I added a sprinkling of safelarger s. 23 and 1tsp of dissolved yeast nutrient.

Got most of packet left though, should I chuck it in?

Last edited:
Along with coopers I added a sprinkling of safelarger s. 23

Saflager S-23

Yeah, that's the lager yeast. It'll be fine.
I'm not sure it'll be like the Leffe you're drinking though.
I don't think I've ever tried that but the description below makes me think the Coopers Euro won't be like that.

Leffe Blonde is a Belgian Abbey Ale, golden in colour. It has a delicate aroma of smoked bacon which combines beautifully with the more obvious aromas of caramel and toffee which are derived from the special 'Aromatic' malts used

leffe blonde homebrew kit site:www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk

Yeah that was a joke, I've no doubt it will be nothing like leffe, that was just a dream. More like I hope I can drink it without holding my nose ha.

Smoked bacon,.... Who said that ha its definitely not like that to me gladly ha. Pete I do recommend to try this though.. Its great. Its a bit like a very light barley wine type larger too me.

Last edited:
Could I add hops later its only had 5 half 6 days although I'm not a fan of over hopped beer at all.

Latest posts

Back