Coopers European Lager Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll see if the fridge can go that low, but if not I'll just have to make do with as close to zero as I can get. Lagering would need racking off the sediment into a secondary FV, I assume, then bottle after 3 weeks?

I hope this kit is worth it, I won't be able to drink it until October!

How much priming sugar is needed for this lager when racking direct into 500ml glass bottles?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Alan

Remf said:
How much priming sugar is needed for this lager when racking direct into 500ml glass bottles?

Alan
I use 1 teaspoon mate, and it works fine. :thumb: Have a batch of this in the warm cupboard as we speak.

bottler said:
Remf said:

Alan
I use 1 teaspoon mate, and it works fine. :thumb: Have a batch of this in the warm cupboard as we speak.

Thanks for the help, Do you know if brewing sugar can be used as I seem to have a lot of it thanks to the wilko sale. Up until now I have been using coopers carbonation drops, but they work out too expensive.

Regards :cheers:

Alan

I would just use granulated sugar for priming at about 90p for a kg you'll get quite a few brews out of that and keep the brewing sugar for brewing!

B

Remf said:
bottler said:
Remf said:

Alan

Thanks for the help, Do you know if brewing sugar can be used as I seem to have a lot of it thanks to the wilko sale. Up until now I have been using coopers carbonation drops, but they work out too expensive.

Regards :cheers:

Alan
Yes you can, like you I ended up with a bit of brewing sugar spare and actually no granulated in the house at all, so I've used up a spare bag I got for free with a Wilko beer kit. :thumb:

This was my second kit and one I'll without doubt be doing again. Done it with a 1kg of Young's Brew Enhancer and left in the FV for about 10 days. Good sulphur smell in the early stages, although it maintained a temp of around 21deg C which is a few higher than suggested. Nevertheless, I bottled it with about half a heaped teaspoon of ordinary white cane sugar per bottle and 6 weeks later (couldn't wait for the suggested 12!) it was frankly amazing! :cheers:

SloeBrewer said:
I hope this kit is worth it, I won't be able to drink it until October!

It is :D I'm drinking one now, and I'm so impressed - I do mainly extract brewing now and just the odd kit, but this is up there with the best of them, hats off to Coopers for a great product. :hat:

i bottled in pint bottles with a sugar cube in each one.

been about about 18c for 4 weeks in the bottle and the carbonation is great. 2 months in the cold now and should be great for christmas.

clear as a bell

Anyone hopped this kit or able to compare it against the Coopers Pilsner? I'm thinking of doing it again with a dry hopping of Saaz, although wondering if I'd be as well just doing the Pilsner! Any thoughts?

As I received this today because of my leaking bottles I had a quick read of the instructions. It says to avoid using sugar and to ferment at 21ish degrees. This tells me that is not a true lager yeast but it also says to expect a sulpher type smell. Would hopped dme be better? My kitchen is a steady 19 so that seems ideal for fermenting. Was planning to batch prime with 160g granulated sugar. What's the general consensus?

Diggerg said:
It says to avoid using sugar and to ferment at 21ish degrees. This tells me that is not a true lager yeast

You sure you got the same kit? The instructions for Coopers kits are generic, covering all their kits, but there should be a section specifically for the European Lager that distinguishes it from the others by saying ferment at a lower temp 'cos it's a lager yeast.

Mine certainly came with a lager yeast and happily went away at 12C, an ale yeast wouldn't have worked at that temp.

From the enclosed instructions ' brewing notes for European lager. Avoid using too much simple sugar ie white sugar or dextrose as this will cause a lack in body. Preferred brewing temperature is the low end of the recommended range ie 21°c although it will ferment down to 13°c. It is common for lager yeast to produce a smell like eggs though this should dissipate add the beer conditions in the bottle. I have re read this and it does state that it is a true lager strain.
So the 19° in my kitchen should be fine I think.

The "it is common for lager yeast to produce a smell like eggs" is a bit of a clue as to the type of yeast strain! :D

The Coopers EUROPEAN Lager and PILSNER kits both come with a proper Lager yeast and definitely not the Coopers Ale/Lager mix that every other Coopers 'Lager'-type kit comes with.

http://www.coopers.com.au/inside-the-order/talk-coopers?g=posts&t=1803

The lower you can ferment it the better it should be. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I did the Euro lager in the summer at around 21C and it stilled turned out mega. I'm two weeks into the Pilsner at around 15C and am now dry hopping before I bottle, but I suspect it has already fermented out having reached 1007.

Diggerg said:
As I received this today because of my leaking bottles I had a quick read of the instructions. It says to avoid using sugar and to ferment at 21ish degrees. This tells me that is not a true lager yeast but it also says to expect a sulpher type smell. Would hopped dme be better? My kitchen is a steady 19 so that seems ideal for fermenting. Was planning to batch prime with 160g granulated sugar. What's the general consensus?

I would definitely use Hopped DME for this - about 1 Kg I'd say. Bottling or batch priming with granulated sugar as you're only using this to support the carbonation rather than the fermentation per se. 19C will work fine.

Next time I do this kit I'll be using a can of Light LME and dry hopping with something to augment it.

Just started a euro kit as my first brew, i used 500g light spray malt and 500g hopped spray mail.
I am hoping for good things, i have been told good things about the kit.

i will give it the full 3 months minimum after bottling.

here is to a long wait :pray:

Started this yesterday after bottling my son's bandit brew. OG was 1.042 and brewed with 1 kg of coopers brew enhancer 2. 18 hours later still no sign of anything happening yet.

Diggerg said:
Started this yesterday after bottling my son's bandit brew. OG was 1.042 and brewed with 1 kg of coopers brew enhancer 2. 18 hours later still no sign of anything happening yet.

i had activity after 6hr's @ 22c, keep an eye on it.

Back