Coopers European Lager Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
itbrvilla said:
What would be the lowest temp to ferment with a lager yeast?

i read a forum post on the coopers forum, and they said you can go 13c - 22c and the taste should not be affected. making it perfect for winter brewing and the 12(minimum) weeks needed to condition makes it right for summer drinking :thumb:

On a side note i just bottled my Coopers European Lager and i had a sip of the beer, i used light DME and hopped light DME, i have to say WOW it soooo nice, i can wait to taste it in about 12 weeks.
i will sample it as intervals of 2 weeks some ppl say it rancid without 12weeks but it was ok today with 0weeks. i would like to see how the taste changes over the time

Thanks Dave. I have bought 12g pack of Saaz and Hallertau to dry hop this. Is 12g enough for 23l? Should i add both? At what stage should I put them in and for how long. Should I ditch the muslin bag? Many thanks

itbrvilla said:
Thanks Dave. I have bought 12g pack of Saaz and Hallertau to dry hop this. Is 12g enough for 23l? Should i add both? At what stage should I put them in and for how long. Should I ditch the muslin bag? Many thanks

i found this post very helpful viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42906&hilit=+brewmaker

use the bag or it will be a pain in the ass getting it out in the end. also dont over hop it, i just used 500g hopped DME and i found it to be on pare with stella, i would think that as hoppy as a lager would want to be?

itbrvilla said:
36 hours in so far ants sat at 16 degrees. No activity at all. The yeast is just sat on the surface.

Hmmm, bottom fermenting yeast sat on the surface? I'd give that a gentle stir to get it going but on the other hand, having done the Coopers Euro Lager and Pilsner kits, it does take a couple of days to get going and produce that signature sulphur smell.

I have just put my euro lager out for conditioning, i had one bottle to see if it had carbonated and there was ok carbonation.
The last was very young but i can till it will be a good drink.

I would like to think the forum for the help on this my first brew.

Markdon said:
Got this today, 1kg extra light spray malt and some Saaz hops to dry hop.

Looking forward to making it tomorrow.
:thumb:

I will be brewing this again with 1kg light spray malt and 40g challenger.
i would say its very good but after sinking 3 i think it need a lot more hops.

Wasnt sure if i needed to add any sugar aswell? I like my ales hoppy, but think it can be overpowering in lagers, so think i will let it ferment out, add 40g Saaz for 5 days, rack and clear for a week then bottle. Will go live in the loft til late spring / early summer.

Markdon said:
Wasnt sure if i needed to add any sugar aswell? I like my ales hoppy, but think it can be overpowering in lagers, so think i will let it ferment out, add 40g Saaz for 5 days, rack and clear for a week then bottle. Will go live in the loft til late spring / early summer.

the last brew i did was 500g LSM and 500g hopped LSM and the taste as little to no hop taste.

after my brew using LSM for the first time i found out 1kg is only the same as about 800g sugar, so depending on how important the ABV is to you, you may way to add 200g sugar or extra 350g LSM.

also you should ferment this at a low temp for a minimum of 14days 13-22c, lower the better.

I will be doing 1 small bag in the fermenter from the start for 48hr for taste, then remove and add a bigger bag after about 6 days for the aroma.

Think i'll nip back to the HBS and get some enhancer to go in with it.

Kitchen bench near back door gives a constant 19c temperature ive found, i would do it in the loft but as its unheated it fluctuates from 5-13c at the minute. Also i would have to leave it up there to rack and bottle as wouldnt fancy taking the full fv down the folding ladders!

Just started this on Tuesday night, I bought it as a "Coopers Ingredient Pack" it basically came with the beer kit and 1kg of brewing sugar, with a bit of luck it turns out half decent as its my first beer!

Markdon said:
Think i'll nip back to the HBS and get some enhancer to go in with it.

Kitchen bench near back door gives a constant 19c temperature ive found, i would do it in the loft but as its unheated it fluctuates from 5-13c at the minute. Also i would have to leave it up there to rack and bottle as wouldnt fancy taking the full fv down the folding ladders!

no bringing a 23l bucket of beer down a folding ladder sounds like a bad idea :D

acott said:
Just started this on Tuesday night, I bought it as a "Coopers Ingredient Pack" it basically came with the beer kit and 1kg of brewing sugar, with a bit of luck it turns out half decent as its my first beer!

it is a good kit, you need to let it sit for 6weeks minimum to age

Well i started this tonight, 23L, added the two bags of 500g spray malt and a 500g bag of brew enhancer.

Definitely need to read the packet, that'll be a 1kg pack ive added.

Took a reading and its 1.054, bugger.

Oh well, see what its like in april i guess. If it gets down to 1.006 i'll have a headbanging 6.4% malty hopfest lager. Going to put a saaz hop tea in after a week, then add 50g Saaz hops for 5 days after its finished.

Could be great, but im not hopeful!

Markdon said:
Well i started this tonight, 23L, added the two bags of 500g spray malt and a 500g bag of brew enhancer.

Definitely need to read the packet, that'll be a 1kg pack ive added.

Took a reading and its 1.054, bugger.

Oh well, see what its like in april i guess. If it gets down to 1.006 i'll have a headbanging 6.4% malty hopfest lager. Going to put a saaz hop tea in after a week, then add 50g Saaz hops for 5 days after its finished.

Could be great, but im not hopeful!

Is it likely you'll need more yeast? :shock:

Bottled this last night. Managed to squeeze 43 500ml bottles. From the wee bit left over tastes great already. Batch primed with 160g sugar in 300 ml of water. Fingers crossed. :cheers:

Thinking of doing some of this for the spring. Does it benefit from extra time in the bottle or would you advise doing it a lot nearer the time?

Latest posts

Back