Coopers European Lager Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst the instructions say 12, mine were good after 6 and really good after 8. I've been picking away at my stock since bottling back in May. Still have half a dozen and they havent improved any since the 8 wk point.

Ive got a stash of these there 16 weeks old now. gonna start supping them now only tried 1 so far at about 8 weeks so will see if theres any proof in the pudding.

Been at 18c for 6 days, gone from 1.056 to 1.014, still bubbling, bit slower now though, every 12secs. Trail jar looked like cloudy lager, and tastes like flat lager, but interesting flavour. Hopes have increased a notch.

Going to leave it a week, check gravity again. If its stopped im going to put 50g of saaz hops in, some in a bag weighed down and some loose.

Using the calculator above it would come out at 5.6% if it stopped now.

Markdon said:
Been at 18c for 6 days, gone from 1.056 to 1.014, still bubbling, bit slower now though, every 12secs. Trail jar looked like cloudy lager, and tastes like flat lager, but interesting flavour. Hopes have increased a notch.

Going to leave it a week, check gravity again. If its stopped im going to put 50g of saaz hops in, some in a bag weighed down and some loose.

Using the calculator above it would come out at 5.6% if it stopped now.

WOW now thats a strong brew :lol:, i think mine came out at 4.7ABV. my brew went for 14 days, at 20c with your having a lower temp it should be longer and taste better. it is a good pint

What gravity did yours stop at? Id like mine to get below 1.010, but as long as it doesnt go down the drain im happy!

Im in two minds about the hops, it tasted lovely from trial jar, dont know if the hops will add to it or take it away?

Markdon said:
What gravity did yours stop at? Id like mine to get below 1.010, but as long as it doesnt go down the drain im happy!

Im in two minds about the hops, it tasted lovely from trial jar, dont know if the hops will add to it or take it away?

i am not 100% as i don't keep recorded but it would have been around 1.010 or it would not have been classed as done
I think is was OG 1046 to FG 1009

I like hop's in a lager, what type of shop lager would you drink. i like becks, stella and pilsner urquell. all full of hops.
as long as you don't boil the hops there is no bitter taste, you jet get the hop taste and aroma. but if you drink fosters, carling... then you may not be a hop person as they have a more clean taste.

End of the day don't anything to a beer if you don't want to, i cant think of anything worse then tipping 40 pints down the drain because someone told you to try something you know you don't like.

if it wasn't for the sediment i would send you a hopped bottle to try :D.

Markdon said:

Mine started at 1038 and went down to 1004. Next time I do this kit, I'll be doing a hop addition of some sort. Took a couple of bottles of the Euro lager round to a family get together yesterday and it was compared by one lager drinker to Tennents. Whilst I'll take that as an endorsement of its 'commercial quality', it's hardly a favourable review of something which aspires to be a European lager.

30g Saaz in sterilised jug, boiling water on top, mixed up and left to cool then added to the fv with another 30g loose saaz. Bubbling down to every 15secs now. Temp still 18c.

Think i will try and liberate a short metal thermocouple from work and make a fitting in the lid so its removable so i have an accurate idea of liquid temp, not keen on this stick on lcd strip.

Going to do this again now the temps are lower. I did this earlier in the year with BKE2 and thought it was decent but had room for improvement.

Going to add saaz hops this time, not sure on the amounts of that yet but was thinking of using 250g extra light dme and 750g brewing sugar, what do you reckon? Also going to switch the yeast for saflager s-23 and see how that fairs :thumb:

Have only just ordered the dme & yeast so most likely won't be doing the kit for a few days anyway. Hope yours turns out nice, yeah let us know how it tastes :thumb: :cheers:

Started 19/12/13
Og 1.056
Current 1.008
23L, 1kg extra light spray malt, 1kg brew enhancer, 30g dry hop saaz and 30g hop tea saaz on 26/12/12

image_zps6271e42b.jpg

image_zps32c71964.jpg

Going to check gravity over next few days, happy for it to stop where it is, 6.4%, still bubbling but expect its just excess co2 now.

If its finished, going to rack into another fv to clear a bit for 5 days then will bottle.

Trial jar tastes like flat heineken, with a slight hoppyness, no maltyness so hoping it improves over time for summer.

Mine has been in primary for 3 weeks now, og 1.040 its now reading 1.002 - can that be right? seems quite low no? it has really cleared up as well! Had a taste, but the subtle smell of sulphur is putting me off.

I think its time to transfer and get ready to bottle :)

Mine stopped at 1.006 with 2kg extra fermentables so yours may finish lower if standard? Could be a dodgy hydrometer too? Reading a few points out? Putting mine in the shed today, started 19/12/13, racked 01/01/14, in shed 09/01/14 for 7 days at least to finish clearing then will bottle.

Tried one of mine tonight. Only been bottled 4 weeks so still little bit hazy and not sure if it's a chill haze. Tastes nice and carbed just about right for my taste. (Batch primed with 180g granulated sugar). Little bit yeasty tasting still but still early days and have high hopes for this.

Latest posts

Back