Coopers Hefe Lager review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alice-edmund

Reaction score
Nov 2020. Standard kit using 1.2l of Mangrove Jack malt. Starting SG 1.041 which seemed a bit low. I boosted this with some honey solution to to 1.045 making 21 litres.
It pretty much stopped at 1.012 so I added 250g of brewing sugar and a few days later 20g of Mandarina hops.
Bottled 40 using 130g of priming sugar at SG of 1.009.
Notes suggest I did not use the kit yeast.
Enjoyable, drinkable - but prob would not redo. Standard Coopers Lager felt better

The Cooper Hefe Wheat kit was my second attempt at a home brew kit. I started it at around Christmas time. I used 1Kg of Wheat DME and 500g of brewing sugar. OG was 1.044 and FG was 1.006. I batch primed it with 180g of brewing sugar. It turned out great and I got a nice taste of clove and banana. I would definitely do the Cooper Hefe Wheat kit again.

The Cooper Hefe Wheat kit was my second attempt at a home brew kit. I started it at around Christmas time. I used 1Kg of Wheat DME and 500g of brewing sugar. OG was 1.044 and FG was 1.006. I batch primed it with 180g of brewing sugar. It turned out great and I got a nice taste of clove and banana. I would definitely do the Cooper Hefe Wheat kit again.
Because you don't say otherwise I assume you used the kit yeast? From other people's posts and the Coopers recipe site it seems that WB06 yeast intensifies the banana and cloves flavours which Coopers warns is "an acquired taste" whereas you describe it as "nice" which sounds more like a background taste. Others have used T58 yeast which gives a more spicy edge. Kit yeast plus wheat malt seems the way to go to me.

Because you don't say otherwise I assume you used the kit yeast? From other people's posts and the Coopers recipe site it seems that WB06 yeast intensifies the banana and cloves flavours which Coopers warns is "an acquired taste" whereas you describe it as "nice" which sounds more like a background taste. Others have used T58 yeast which gives a more spicy edge. Kit yeast plus wheat malt seems the way to go to me.
Yes it was really nice. I used the kit yeast. The background taste of clove and banana was not too strong. I drank my last bottle of this brew at the weekend. It had cleared a lot over 6 months, and the flavours had died off but it was still very nice.

Back