Coopers Hefe Wheat brewing advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig85

Reaction score
I have a can of Coopers Hefe Wheat, and as recommended I also purchased Coopers Wheat Malt Extract to use instead of brewing sugar. Do I use then entire can of the malt extract? What would be the consequences of not using too little/too much?

Hoping somebody can help - only done a few brews before!

If you use the Wheat Malt Extract rather than dextrose it will, not surprisingly, be more malty, and the malt will be of the right sort. If you add all dextrose the result will be a lot thinner, but more alcoholic.
On the assumption that the Wheat ME is 1.5kg and you make up your kit to 23 litres you should end up with a beer of about 4.0% ABV. If you want it stronger simply brew short, so 20 litres would be about 4.6%. If you use 1.5kg dextrose instead of Wheat ME the ABVs would be 5.1% and 5.9% respectively.
Personally I would use the wheat ME.

Yes it is the 1.5kg tin. Happy with 4.0% and I enjoy the malty taste so many thanks for your help, will get it brewing now!

Like Craig85 who started the thread I have a can of Coopers Hefe which is next on the brew list - but what do I add? It suggests 1 kg dry wheat malt. Do I need to add anything at all? White sugar; brewing sugar; maltodextrin? Advice sought please. I'm not a Newbie but all these different 'fementables'.....with different names....very irritating

Back