Coopers Hop Slam NZ with mods

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks TerryM I did have a quick taste of the sample and it certainly tasted like it was more than 3% abv. I'll try and track down a hydrometer this week but don't have a lhbs near me in Belgium (nearly 2 hour drive). I thought the refractometer would be more accurate and it didn't need adjusting when I measured distilled water so was confident it would work. Never mind, maybe all is not lost.

Last edited:
Ok I am an idiot, as the wort is now beer I need to use a calculator from the o.g. to the current brix to work it out (there are a few online for free) and it appears to be equivalent to 1.008 now so could be as high as 5.45%. Hydrometer much more simple. Rack and dry hop this weekend.

Ok I am an idiot, as the wort is now beer I need to use a calculator from the o.g. to the current brix to work it out (there are a few online for free) and it appears to be equivalent to 1.008 now so could be as high as 5.45%. Hydrometer much more simple. Rack and dry hop this weekend.
Good to hear its sorted. athumb..
There may be a lesson in there somewhere for others using refractometers and similar brewing equipment. Brewing beer can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, but the more bells and whistles you add, the more room for error.

Last edited:
Agreed terrym, my thoughts were 'Broken hydrometer, hydrometers are easily breakable. Refractometer not too expensive and more accurate'. You live and learn.

Latest posts

Back