Coopers IPA review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking this now and I'm loving it 800g of brew enhancer and the other 200 for priming. Had one problem that someone may be able to answer, keged the beer 7 weeks ago and left in house for 4 days fitted with gas injector top,bottom of barrel ballooned a bit so pressure not a prob moved to shed and wrapped in a coat! After 4 weeks in shed needed to try a pint poured 1 off very lively and tasted great next day time for another but no pressure at all! I put a gas bulb on and everything's been fine since is the cold shed a factor in this?

The co2 may have been dissolved into the beer which would give you a carbonated beer but less pressure, easly fixed with a blast of co2 though.

Forgive my ignorance. I see a few posters mentioned adding tea or hopped tea to this kit. I just brewed it up and had a quick sup of the mixture. I thought I got vague tea taste from it. Would that be right? I don't think I've ever drank IPA so not sure what it should be like.

Also curious about fermentation times. I'm 24 hours in. And very little head activity. A first for me. Is this a slow starter or anything?

Blast off. Well, lift off anyway. Gentle ferment compared to my previous three Coopers kits! But well on it's way.

Put one of these on yesterday.
1/2 light spray malt 1/2 brewing sugar.
Plan to dry hop this (and the Wilko Golden Ale) with 50g each of Styrian Goldings for the last five days of primary.

I have just finished this brew with a few tweaks. Firstly I boiled 2 ltr of water and then added 25 grams of column's hops and boiled for 15 mins when finished I strained my hop bag back into the box pot I then mixed 500grams of medium malt extract and stored untill dissolved I then added 300 grams of brewers sugar and again stored untill dissolved added the mixture to my bin followed by the ipa tin and water I then added a further 15grams of column's in my hop bag threw this in the mix added my yeast and closed it up for 7 days.

I have brewed this a few times like this and it blows the original recipe out of the water in terms of depth of flavour and character.mm

Im looking at doing this as one of my next brews. Has anyone tried it with either 1kg DME and 300g brewing sugar. Or just 1.5 KG of DME?

Afternoon, this is my third brew. Did the standard 500g Spraymalt and 300g of dextrose. After 4 weeks bottled very pleased with the result, a nice beer. My only comment would be its lacking a bit of head... So my question is if I replace the dextrose with brew enhancer 2, would this add a decent head?

Cheers

Doug

Mine just went into the fridge 3 hours ago. Bit bitter right now but I'll put it away for a month a see how it goes. Actually getting great head at the moment. Should get even better. To be honest all my Coopers have had great heads so far.

By the way tahiti, mine was also done with light spraymalt (600g) and dextrose (700g).

I've brewed this kit with 1.2kilos of bitter orange marmalade, 1kg light DME, 0.5kg medium DME and 60grams of Centennials. Planning on dry hopping with around 30grams of cascade after 7 days of it being in the primary.

Should be interesting

I haven't tried this one yet but I would recommend the Simply IPA to you...it is a really lovely full flavour pint. Having been a bit put off by the Hoppy Copper Ale by Wilco I am a bit wary of I can kits (except Simply) but am trying a Black Rock Golden Ale with 1kg of beer enhancer. I will try the coopers brand though as I have heard good things about them generally.

Just did todays hydrometer reading and is coming along nicely and smells absolutely fantastic. :party:

TheSweeney said:
I've brewed this kit with 1.2kilos of bitter orange marmalade, 1kg light DME, 0.5kg medium DME and 60grams of Centennials. Planning on dry hopping with around 30grams of cascade after 7 days of it being in the primary.

Should be interesting
Why use marmalade? just curious.

Hoping for a hint of orange coming through after the initial tastes. Plus, more sugars to break down :thumb:

Let us know how it turns out. I have this kit and 1kg of light spraymalt ready to do. was thinking of trying dry hopping it.

I like this kit and did a few of them before I moved over to AG. As mentioned in the first post, Coopers are the pick of the one cans.
I got a can of this a few weeks ago to use up some spray malt that was nearing the end of it's shelf life.
It does improve with age, if you can be patient enough to wait 2-3 months after bottling and kegging.
I agree with other posters who have mentioned dry hopping.....I am just about to move this current batch over to a secondary and will dry hop with something from the freezer. Probably best done with an English hop IMO.

Latest posts

Back