Coopers IPA review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is on my To-Do list for sure. Thinking 1kg of Light spraymalt and a healthy addition of some Cascade hops before kegging it.

I have one of these in FV at the moment, was my second ever kit. Added 1.5kg can of LME. And made up to 21l.

Planning to brew this again before Xmas. Might add 0.5kg of dextrose, some mollasis and dry hop with Goldings, as well as the 1.5kg can of LME. And made up to 21l.

Does anyone have any ideas of how this might turn out?

Ph.

Hi,

I brewed a batch of this using:

1 can coopers IPA
1 can LME
500g dextrose
500g demmera sugar
Challenger hops; 50g@ 45mins, 25g @ 15mins and 25g dry hopped at 10 days.

Fermented @ 21C for 2 weeks. Just pulled a bottle and fired into the fridge after 2 weeks in warm. Very nice flavour, serious head retention. I have to say, i'll def be trying this again! Crackin beer!

PH.

Did one of these with 500g spray malt and 300g dextrose.... Found it to be a bit bland, and flat. Sorry. I have done the coopers heritage lager and that was good, so it must just be me and IPA. I've had very good results with two can kits such as muntons/St. Peter's.

Cheers

Doug

Tahiti6 said:
Did one of these with 500g spray malt and 300g dextrose.... Found it to be a bit bland, and flat. Sorry. I have done the coopers heritage lager and that was good, so it must just be me and IPA. I've had very good results with two can kits such as muntons/St. Peter's.

Cheers

Doug

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, I've found the exact same thing from Coopers kits done to their instructions. Moreover, I've read a few comments here and elsewhere that suggest this kit need either brewing short or better still with more adjuncts than the instructions say.

I brewed this as instructions, though with brewkit enhancer rather than sugar.

I also added 250g steeped crystal malt
Challenger hop tea (30g for 30mins)
Dry hopped with 30g Challenger

It's OK, very bitter and to be honest, I'm on the edge of not enjoying it that much (though I've drunk 35 pints of it). Personally, I'd say the dry hopping was a really good idea as was the extra crystal malt. The hop tea was too much - made it too bitter.

That said, if you're going to go to this sort of trouble to soup up a kit, you might as well move on to extract (which I did with my next brew).

I just finished some late night bottling of this kit. I made it with 1kg DME and 100g of dextrose with some extra fuggles hops to 21L. Tried it after bottling and it is already a good tasting beer, lovely and hoppy. Few months maturing and it should be a winner!

I brewed this at the start of December using the following:

Coopers IPA can of extract
1kg light spray malt
500g crystal (steeped @ 60 for 20 mins)
25g Fuggles (boiled in steeping liquid for 20 mins)
500g brewing sugar
Cooper kit yeast & Safeale 04 Ale yeast

Brewed to 20 ltrs
1st week in primary
Then 25g Fuggles dry hop
2nd week in primary
Batch primed with brewing sugar (from a Festival Porter kit)

Bottled kept inside for two weeks and then out to the shed.

It's lovely in a big malty way with quite a lot of bitterness still there; best served at the temp it come out of the shed at (as opposed to chilled any further). I would do this again bu cut back on the crystal to say 250g.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

This is brew #3 in my journey of home brewing, fired this kit up yesterday.

1x Coopers IPA Can
1x Coopers Light Liquid Malt Extract
500g Unrefined golden caster sugar

I used US-05 yeast and rehydrated it before use, pitched at 21C and then put it in the water bath to remain at a constant 18C.

Starting gravity: 1.054

I have Nelson Sauvin & Citra whole hops in line for this one to dry hop with when I transfer to secondary, hoping for a real depth to this IPA... will need to see how much I shall prime it with, probably somewhere near 100g of Sugar.

Will post results in a good 6-8 weeks time!

hi, sorry but im a total homebrew newbie!

Can anybody please give me a pretty definitive answer as to how much priming sugar to add per Litre for this kit?(ill be using regular brewing sugar/dextrose)

thanks

Thanks guys, perfect.

I agree, id rather it slightly over carbonated than under carbonated, so 6g per litre it will be.

cheers

Just enjoying one of these now.My first brew and it has turned out much better than I expected.

Brewed 26/01 with 1kg Youngs beer enhancer.Standard yeast packet added.OG around 1.040.

10 days in : 05/02 activity died down so added 12g Williamette hops.This was meant for a hop tea I think,but what the heck lobbed the pellets in.

15 days in : 10/02 racked to second F.V. quite a bit more yeast dropped out, beer nice and clear.

23 days in : FG around 1.010 bottled on 18/02. 17 days in the warm and outside to cold condition on the 07/03. A.B.V.around 4.2%

So it's now had just over two weeks cold conditioning.I have been trying a few regularly as it is my first brew and I wanted to see how it was developing.That's my story and i'm sticking to it!!! So I only have 10 left from my original 40 bottles.
It was really green and very bitter to start with with a bit of a home brew twang.This gradually improved.
It has really got better over the last week.Now quite smooth with a slightly dry and slightly bitter aftertaste mmmm.Nice and clear with some carbonation and a great creamy head and nice lacing.
I had a few the other night and fell asleep in my chair in front of the telly,so it works too!!!

Really chuffed and can't quite believe I made this. :party:Will keep a few bottles squirrelled away for another month,by which time I feel confident it will be good enough to let my mates try it.
Good kit and worked out at 53p per 450ml which is what I get from each bottle after headspace and avoiding sediment.Gotta love that!!!
Better brew IPA will be my next IPA as it has good reviews on here. :D

I brewed this the other night and added 15g of simcoe (boiled for an hour) along with another 15g added for the last 10 mins. I used the coopers beer enhancer 1 with the kit. smells amazingly hoppy. I am planning to dry hop with another 20g of simcoe once its fermented for a few days. Time will tell if ive overdone it - first time working with hops.

Good reviews for a one-can kit so fired one up at the weekend with some NZ hops and a brew enhancer 2 box. Glad I've used the tip from the forum about using a breather tube for the first few days as it's bubbling like a mad thing - would probably have overwhelmed the airlock. Plan on late hopping with some whole Citra when I rack it off. Will probably bottle as I've had varying success with the kegs but the DIPA that went into bottles is excellent.

Good reviews for a one-can kit so fired one up at the weekend with some NZ hops and a brew enhancer 2 box. Glad I've used the tip from the forum about using a breather tube for the first few days as it's bubbling like a mad thing - would probably have overwhelmed the airlock. Plan on late hopping with some whole Citra when I rack it off. Will probably bottle as I've had varying success with the kegs but the DIPA that went into bottles is excellent.

Sounds good Del,I've made this many times with different hops and once with different yeast(that brew was amazing,why,why haven't I done it again ?)
One of the top 3-1 can kits for playing around with IMO.
Enjoy mate :drink:

When my FV becomes free after I've finished this Porter I plan to brew this with 750g of spraymalt and 500 g of sugar (maybe a tin of Golden Syrup for a laugh).

I'm also going to chuck in some Saaz hop pellets. Reckon that'll work?

Joe

Back