Coopers Irish Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used them. The Coopers Original Stout review thread seems more popular so maybe ask those lads.

Barticus said:
Every time I read a review Im gagging for a taste and thinking to myself "I'll do that next"!

Currently up to about 10 that are definitely going to be the next one. :wha:

im the same :rofl:

I am going to give this one a go as well.

Regards :cheers:

Alan

I knocked one of these kits up last night using 500g of dark spraymalt, 500g of light spraymalt, 500g of dark sugar and 454g tin of treacle and topped up to only 20L. SG was about 1.060, has been sitting since then on the kitchen floor at a constant 20c and bubbling away nicely but no sign of the run-away krausen I keep reading about on these kits.
:cheers: :thumb:

Did this in July. 1kg Extra Dark Spraymalt, @300g of Brown Sugar and brewed to 22L. OG 1045, FG 1013. Primed each bottle with 1/3 tspn of sugar and thus far they taste amazing, although even with just a 1/3 tspn I'd say it's a bit fizzier than I'd like. Bubbles in the head haven't reduced too much yet so I'm happy to keep this a while longer before going to town on it, confident it will be excellent!

Just started this kit tonight as my first stout. I used 1kg medium spraymalt, 500g demerara sugar and 100g of black treacle. Had a OG 1042, I'm hoping to batch prime this with 100g of sugar and serve from the keg at Christmas.
Hope it turns out ok :pray:

Trev

24 hrs on and it is puffing like a train :party: It is quite cold in the house 17c so I have wrapped a blanket around the FV wort temp is sitting a 22c - all good so far

Stew said:
I knocked one of these kits up last night using 500g of dark spraymalt, 500g of light spraymalt, 500g of dark sugar and 454g tin of treacle and topped up to only 20L. SG was about 1.060, has been sitting since then on the kitchen floor at a constant 20c and bubbling away nicely but no sign of the run-away krausen I keep reading about on these kits.

Got this bottled on Saturday after 15 days in primary and primed with 1/2 tsp of caster sugar per 500ml bottle. As I'm using plastic bottles I can feel that they are hardening with carbonation already, after only 2 days.
I did make a hop tea from boiling 10gs of hops in 1 litre of water for 60 minutes to offset the sweetness due to the increased alcohol content due to the extra level of fermentables added, this went in on day 10.
So far so good and already tastes lovely but will definetly need a good few months to condition before it's truely great :drink:

Stew said:
Stew said:

Got this bottled on Saturday after 15 days in primary and primed with 1/2 tsp of caster sugar per 500ml bottle. As I'm using plastic bottles I can feel that they are hardening with carbonation already, after only 2 days.
I did make a hop tea from boiling 10gs of hops in 1 litre of water for 60 minutes to offset the sweetness due to the increased alcohol content due to the extra level of fermentables added, this went in on day 10.
So far so good and already tastes lovely but will definetly need a good few months to condition before it's truely great :drink:

Cracked one of these open last night to sample it after only 3 days in the bottle...Poured it out and managed to avoid the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. No real head in the glass but a light carbonation through the drink so looking rather like Guiness Original. Tasted much better though, treacly notes and a slightly bitter finish and I can only think that this one will improve with some aging.
However this is certainly a one bottle drink as is very powerful :drunk:

Bottled my first batch couple of days ago. Not sure if adding only 1kg of sugar to this kit will make the perfect brew, primed whole 23L with 4gr for each 0.5L bottle. I imagine what would be the OG with that kind of ingredients that I used. FG was 1.010, didn't have hydrometer at beginning. Added one cinnamon stick to add some extra flavour to it. I will keep bottles for one week in 20C and then will bring them somewhere cold. Can't wait to taste it! :cheers:

After a few weeks in plastic 500ml bottles this is what it looks like :D

photo4_zps6fe276e8.jpg

Looking like a nice pint stew! Well done, how's the taste?
I batch primed and bottle 12 pints and legged the rest, not tried a bottled but had a few tasters from the keg - I like it, and the first few from the keg looked perfect,just like a guiness with the cloudy waves that slowly settled to leave a black pint with a nice head. However, that seems to have gone and now it just pours out the keg and looks settled straight away. I have added more CO2 but just come out faster, It is the first time I've used the keg so it could be me?

Enjoy your pint

Trev

I had a problem with Coopers bottles at the back end of last year, which the people from Coopers sorted brilliantly. They sent me one of these and I made it up a couple of weeks ago (to 27L or 6 gallons) with a Wilko Velvet stout and 1kg of sugar. Bottled today into 50 x 500ml bottles.

Looks good, dropped fairly clear, as usual, and seemed to taste OK.

I've taken to mixing stout with light beers and find that the mix is better than either. Think is is where the Style known as Porter might originate from.

Just had a sample from the testing jar after I bottled my Irish Stout. Tastes very promising. This is how I did my kit:

- Added 650g amber DME,
- Added 750g of organic cane sugar,
- Added 300g of organic barley malt syrup.
That boosted the OG to 1.062
I happened to have a sachet of MauriBrew Ale yeast in the fridge that sat there for a while, so decided to use that one. It is supposed to be a pretty fool-proof yeast on higher temps and alcohol levels.

Given the OG, I was expecting major blow-offs (had violent one's on the Cooper's original stout), but it actually fermented very civilised. After about 4 weeks I called it finished, at a FG of 1.015

I just bottled it with 5g/l of dextrose (being continental, I like it a little more fizzy).

So far, so good. Let's see what happens in the bottle.

I'm not a beer historian, but from my limited knowledge, the Porter style of beer pre-dates the Stout. If I remember correctly, the barley is just not roasted as deep in a porter compared to a stout. Nevertheless, never tried mixing a stout with a lighter beer, so will give that a go. Thanks for the tip. What kind of beer style do you mix it with?

The best kit I have ever made, by the instructions with 1 kilo spray malt, 250 grams sugar, 250 grams molasses. Fermented out and bottled in flip tops with 1 teaspoon sugar to prime.
1 week in warm then moved to cool room and fridge for a day before drinking, absolutely great stout. The only trouble is everyone else thinks so as well !! :drink:

Hi there,

Done this kit, it s great, 100% will do it again:
1 can
1 kg dark spray malt
100 gr. demerara sugar
100 gr. Cane syrup
Got 20 litres.
Yeast pitched at 23 degree C.
S.g: 1.046
After 12h got the airlock bubbling, then after 36 h stopped. (!!!)
F.g: 1.012
Bottled with 156 gr. Demerara.
- 1 week first fermentation bucket,
- 4 days second.
- 1 week conditioned at room temp.
- 2 weeks at 12 degree in the basement. Great taste, rich cofee, rum and chocolate flavours!!! 1 inch head :).
Respect !
C.

Anyone done both the Coopers Irish Stout and their Original Stout?
How do they compare?
I've only done the Original which seems to be more popular and was thinking of giving the Irish a try.

Just put 19 litres of my Coopers Irish Stout into a PB, primed with 90g sugar. I thought I would have a go to compare to the Original Stout.
I used kit can plus 500g golden syrup, 500g Dark DME, 100g dark muscavado sugar plus three shots of strong Italian Roast coffee. This is same as my last Original Stout.
I used kit yeast, and it had started well after 12 hours but did not produce the volcanic krausen like the Original. It was finished in just over three days at about 20*C, and has had nearly 10 days in the FV. OG was 1.046, FG was 1.015 which is a bit high for a Coopers Yeast. Perhaps the yeast was getting on bit although it was well within date.
Taster was full bodied and fruity with a good roast barley aroma.
Should be good :thumb:

Just had a taste after 2 weeks bottle conditioning.

I made mine using 500g light spray malt, 500g white sugar, 300g demerara (because I wanted a very dry stout) The yeast was particularly good - the bubbling that went on lasted days and was duly filmed by my wife as was remarkable enough to catch everyone's attention in the kitchen for a week.

The initial flavour was unpleasant in my opinion. Too much licorice. But the finish was nice and dry and when I checked the hydrometer reading - 1.004! Wow. For a stout, that is quite something. Two weeks in the bottle has helped mellow the initial licorice flavour (although it is still present) but the beer lacks body and could do with a greater proportion of malt and/or dark spray malt as opposed to light. I can actually see through the beer when the glass got shallow. I think darker extract should solve this.

All-in-all, a vigorous fermentation leading to a nice dry stout. Decent kit with good dry irish yeast supplied. I definitely should have used dme instead of lme. Next time I try this kit, I'll do that and report the results.

Back