Coopers Irish stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffDragon7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all
looking at my next kit brew and thinking Coopers premium Irish Stout.
anyone tried this ?
I was thinking of adding richies extra dark spray malt 1 kg. Is this to much

any thoughts greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Hi all
anyone tried this ?

thanks in advance

I haven't made one yet, but I do have one sat here that I intend to brew in the near future.

Have you added a full kg of extra dark spray malt to a beer before? If you really like what it does then maybe put in the lot, but I would be inclined to add 0.5KG and use brewing sugar for the rest, which is more or less what you would get in a 1KG beer enhancer intended for dark beers. Or if you like a stronger beer, put in 0.5KG of the extra dark spray malt and a full 1KG of sugar.

I haven't made one yet, but I do have one sat here that I intend to brew in the near future.

Have you added a full kg of extra dark spray malt to a beer before? If you really like what it does then maybe put in the lot, but I would be inclined to add 0.5KG and use brewing sugar for the rest, which is more or less what you would get in a 1KG beer enhancer intended for dark beers. Or if you like a stronger beer, put in 0.5KG of the extra dark spray malt and a full 1KG of sugar.
Hi Mate,
not done anything yet just looking at the best way forward. I heard that this stout is a good one so I was looking at which is best addition

Hi all
anyone tried this ?

thanks in advance
Hi jeff
I haven't made the coopers irish stout but I have made the regular coopers stout using a recipe a forum member named terrym offered me.
1 can coopers irish stout.
500g dark spray malt.
600g golden syrup.
100g dark muscavado sugar.
1 dessert spoon of treacle.
and 3 shots of strong fresh ground coffee.
As I say I've never made it with the irish stout but have used the recipe with the regular stout and it is superb.

Cheers Dicko

Hi jeff
I haven't made the coopers irish stout but I have made the regular coopers stout using a recipe a forum member named terrym offered me.
1 can coopers irish stout.
500g dark spray malt.
600g golden syrup.
100g dark muscavado sugar.
1 dessert spoon of treacle.
and 3 shots of strong fresh ground coffee.
As I say I've never made it with the irish stout but have used the recipe with the regular stout and it is superb.

Cheers Dicko
Thanks I’ll look into that

I made a toucan with coopers Irish stout, coopers dark ale and 1kg of dark spray malt. It's the best brew I've done, albeit I haven't been brewing for all that long!

I’ve done this quite a few times and love it, one of my favourite stouts. mostly been with 1kg of coopers brew enhancer 3 Which I believe is a combo of light spray malt, maltodextrine and dextrose.

I’d probably go half and half with brewing sugar, but it'd be fine with just the dark malt.

I made my Coopers Irish Stout kit on Friday with 1KG of Youngs Beer Enhancer and short brewed to 21 litres (it was 20 at the time of filling the fermenter, but when all the froth finally settled down it seemed to creep up to 21). Gravity looked to be about 1042. Today found that the fermentation had burst out through the airlock so it required a bit of a clean up and a fresh airlock due to all the black gunk! Replacement airlock currently bubbling away like mad.

A pint of moded Cooper's Irish. Bloody Beut !
IMG_20210510_224727_031.jpg

Mine had been in the fermenter for two weeks and reading 1010 for a few days so I bottled it this evening. The early taste I had seemed promising, now just need to wait another four weeks for a proper go...

I am about to do my second batch of this having done it years ago with 1kg of extra dark spraymalf and 300gms of soft brown sugar which turned out well. I might also add some dark treacle and coffee this time but wonder what people's views are about whether these and the sugar should be boiled to be on the safe side though I realise that some flavour particularly with the coffee (to be made with Colombian ground) would be lost in the process.

Latest posts

Back