Coopers Lager - any tweaks?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
I was hoping to start an EKG smash this weekend, but the lhbs closed early so I'm 2kg short of pale malt. I do however have a tin of Cooper's lager so could make that, but have no malt extract. I could mash the small amount of M.O. I do have (about 2.5kg) and add some hop pellets (EKG, first gold, challenger, saaz, Perle, mittelfruh) but have no idea how to plug those into a brew calculator for 22L.
Any ideas ? (it doesn't have to end up as a lager)

How much pale malt to mash to be equivalent to 1kg DME ?
I don't do dry hopping as I don't get through a batch very quickly and the aroma has usually vanished by the time I get round to drinking it but I suppose I could do a kind of flame out 80C with the saaz for 15 mins.

I did quite a few partial mash brews with a Coopers Lager kit and 2.5-2.75kg of malt. Very good they were, too. Add the hops towards the end of the boil and use the kit for most of the bittering. Should be good for the warmer weather we might get!

In the end I added M.O., chocolate and black malt, hersbrucker and saaz, plus a bit of brewing sugar, so it will hopefully end up as a schwarzbier (kind of).

Latest posts

Back