Cooper's Mexican Cerveza....?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it on the go at the moment sat in a budget barrel awainting a free corney. I'll be able to day what the wife thinks but it's not going to get sampled for at least a month.

You beat me to it with the question. Bought the same kit today along with beer enhancer so look forward to any comments about the kit.

The only question I have is what temperature to brew it at. Coopers recommend 21 - 27 degrees, isn't that a bit too high.

Cheers Neil

i just got one to, going to start it on the weekend. Hopefully its going to be nice.

I brewed one of these last year and it was pretty good - i used white sugar and upped it to around 1.4kg and then bottled with a good teaspoon of sugar, after 6weeks conditioning it was great with a wedge of lime - well carbonated and tasty, i find the coopers lagerkits like this one need a good time to condition - i found if you drank them to early they were a bit..........umm...eggy :? As for the brewing temp most lager kits are supplied with ale yeast hence the brewing temp - i always brew at around 18degrees c but a bit above or below will be fine with these! Hope this helps and happy brewing :drink:

rickthebrew said:
I brewed one of these last year and it was pretty good - i used white sugar and upped it to around 1.4kg and then bottled with a good teaspoon of sugar, after 6weeks conditioning it was great with a wedge of lime - well carbonated and tasty, i find the coopers lagerkits like this one need a good time to condition - i found if you drank them to early they were a bit..........umm...eggy :? As for the brewing temp most lager kits are supplied with ale yeast hence the brewing temp - i always brew at around 18degrees c but a bit above or below will be fine with these! Hope this helps and happy brewing :drink:

Agreed. I did their European Lager and Canadian Blonde. The European Lager certainly improved with cold maturation. The Canadian Blonde did also, but not quite as tasteful as the other.

aneray said:
You beat me to it with the question. Bought the same kit today along with beer enhancer so look forward to any comments about the kit.

The only question I have is what temperature to brew it at. Coopers recommend 21 - 27 degrees, isn't that a bit too high.

Cheers Neil

Sounds a bit high to me too. I know I probably shouldn't but I leave mine at room temp around 21-23 c. Never had any issues, but always room for improvement.

aneray said:

Cheers Neil

I've heard that beer enhancer doesn't make that much of a difference with these lager kits...?

i made several coopers lager type kits and found no difference between sugar and beer enhancer, however i found most bitter or ale kits were better with some spraymalt added - however once you start paying for a kit and a KG of spraymalt your better of buying an all malt 3kg kit like woodfordes or muntons :thumb:

Thanks for the advice guys. I think the enhancer turned out to be a waste of money as I had to add nearly a kilo of sugar to bring it up to an SG of 1050, which will hopefully end up around 5.3%. When bottled it will be left until the summer anyway so hopefully it should taste pretty good.

Cheers Neil

Just did my coopers with 1k of brewing sugar. Got an OG of 1040. Im wondering if i should add more before its to late.

Thats what I did. I feel a little better now knowing somebody else had the same problem as I did. I thought it was just me. I even dug through the recycling to make sure the can said 40 pints and not thirty. Give it a go, stick a bit more sugar in, it won't do much harm.

i found a lot of kits were a bit untruthful about expected starting gravity :(
chuck a bit of sugar in :party:

If your final gravity is around 1010 you should end up with an abv of about 4.8%, that sounds better. Problem sorted. :thumb: :thumb:

how are you calculating that? The coopers instructions says OG - FG/ 7.46 + 0.5

Its going well Stephen. Started mine off at 1054 and now two days later it is down to 1038.

I do have an electric blanket wrapped around it set on number 1. This gives me a constant temperature of 24 degrees. Even though it is a little high there has never been any problems with the taste in my final product.

Yesterday I did notice a slight eggy smell coming through the airlock, but after just testing the gravity I had a little sip and it seems to be fine.

Cheers Neil

Back