Coopers Original Series Larger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukphiltr7

Reaction score
I have started this thread as I cannot find any reference to Coopers Larger in the main listing. I can see Coopers Australian Lager, Coopers European Lager and Coopers Heritage Lager, but no just Larger. Sorry if it is out there and I am not seeing the wood for the trees.

This was the second brew that I did and I only made it as it came with the brewing kit that I brought. I am not a larger drinker, as I find them too gassy; I much prefer a good old point of British bitter. However, a friend of mine gave me an American Pale Ale that he had made and that was really nice and refreshing, so I thought I would do the larger that came with the kit. Sometimes on a hot day a cool drink with a few bubbles is nice and refreshing.

I made the brew up with the ingredients supplied in the kit; 1 x 1.7kg Original Series Lager Brewing Extract and 1 x 1kg Brew Enhancer. Being still only new to this homebrew game I followed the instructions to the letter. I left it in the FV for 10 days and then bottled. When in the FV it was sitting on the 22 to 24 mark and before I bottled it, the brew went nice and clear. After a few days in the bottles the larger went nice and clear (even more) and when looking through the bottles there is a great light amber shine to it.

I left it for two weeks in the bottle before trying it. I must admit that I was slightly let down to say the least. The head stayed around for about 30 seconds (if that) and there were hardly any bubbles in it at all. The taste was OK, but nothing to shout about. I then joined this forum and read that it is a good idea to follow the 2 – 2 – 2 rule, so I gave it another two weeks before trying another bottle. Once again, my socks were not blown off. So I have had a few bottles since then (around 2 months in the bottle) and still nothing special. I had one last night and there were still hardly any bubbles in it and the head did last. When I had got half way down the glass it was like drinking flat coke and reminded me of my mum and dad’s homebrew efforts years ago. This was something that I was trying to get away from. I seem to be leaving the bottles longer and longer to drink as on the whole I am not enjoying this drink. I do not want loads of bubbles, but some would be nice.

I have another brew (North West Pale Ale) in the bottles proving currently. It has been in there one week, so now I am counting down the next three. I think I may try the larger again, but next time it will need to be altered slightly.

Latest posts

Back