Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the carbonation drops. Two per 740ml bottle as per instruction. Not got the stout bottled yet but have a lager maturing using the same method and they seem fine. The bottles are rock hard after four days.

Thanks Mate. I've got a toucan stout in the garage awaiting bottling. I'm holding off as it's so cold here I don't think secondary fermentation would start.

Brewed this short to 18l with 1kg muntons medium DME and 250g Golden Syrup. Didn't take OG, and am having difficulty getting it below 1014. Been in the FV for 2 weeks, and has clearly finished so will bottle tomorrow (would keg if I had one!). Looking forward to a sample in a couple of weeks. :twisted:

Ok, so didn't hold out for a couple of weeks (never do!):whistle:. Just had a pint. Lovely. It is sweet, rich, malty and moreish, even at this very early stage. :thumb:

Mines 10 days in fermentation slowed or stopped..took the forum advice and kept the lid shut..except when the head popped it! A bit hot today so wrapped it in wet towels out of the freezer. Will take a fg on Saturday. .looking forward to this one.

Regards

Clint

Mines been in the FV for 6 days so took a reading tonight as things had slowed down. OG was 1040 tonight it sits at 1008. Cant see it dropping anymore so if its the same tomorrow it'll be bottled. Very happy with the small flat sample i tasted tonight too!

Well 4 weeks in the bottle and like others have said it just gets better.....brewed with bag of tate n lyle, how simple can you get 👍

Just took first fg reading...1.008 which is giving me abv of 4.1%. Test sample tastes nice..

Regards

Clint

....any suggestions on amounts of sugar for bulk priming?

Just took first fg reading...1.008 which is giving me abv of 4.1%. Test sample tastes nice..

Regards

Clint

Can't help you with bulk priming since that isn't my practice, but I am really pleased with a scant half teaspoon per 500ml bottle. Not sure what weight that would be over 40 bottles...

Had another of these tonight. Very, very good, and I'm not really a stout drinker.

Regards

Clint

Use the priming calculator on Brewers friend

Well 10 days in the bottle and happy with this if I was an Aussie

image.jpg

Ah yes..the brewers friend..thanks! For dextrose and current temp of 24c. ..123.9 g. Easy peasy!

Regards

Clint

Can you let us know if you're happy with the carbonation please.
My first stout (as I've mentioned before) was way underprimed.
I only put in about 90 grams dextrose after paying too much attention to people saying to halve the priming rate.

My latest "toucan" stout which I bottled last week I followed Coopers directions of 8 grams per litre. I think this one might be overcarbed.

Well, having had a few of these now I am pretty certain I have over carbed it, far to gassy, but to be honest it is very tasty, and the Vanilla is just there, enough but not overpowering.

Well, having had a few of these now I am pretty c
ertain I have over carbed it, far to gassy, but to be honest it is very tasty, and the Vanilla is just there, enough but not overpowering.[/QUOTE

if they're all pet bottles you can degass them after a night in the fridge, twist and re twist after a few mins.
this helped with my over primed tweaked wilkos bitter

Bottled mine last night. 3 weeks so far, 1 week in the fv, 2 weeks in secondary and a FG of 1000 (5.4%) Sample tasted very nice, looking forward to this.

Well, having had a few of these now I am pretty c
ertain I have over carbed it, far to gassy, but to be honest it is very tasty, and the Vanilla is just there, enough but not overpowering.[/QUOTE

if they're all pet bottles you can degass them after a night in the fridge, twist and re twist after a few mins.
this helped with my over primed tweaked wilkos bitter

Fantastic, will give this a go as most of them are in PET

Just checked my gravity after 3 days and looks like it has fermented out 1.010 ish nice taste already too is this normal?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Im giving this beer one more week before I crack one open. it was a PM with torrefied wheat I thought would help with head retention.
seems to get great reviews.
can anyone confidently say they'd prefer it over a Guinness original (bottled)?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back