Coopers Pilsner 86

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wherrypuzzled

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi - forgive the question but reading the search results hasnt sorted me out

Im doing my first Lager ever and read instructions / other info and still not clear ... so ;

I got my Can and fermentables in FV & got the liquid to 22c [easy] before adding yeast

36 hours on its fermenting well - so is next step to put in fridge in Garage which I have set "roughly" at 12c

Then is that it - leave in there till fermentation finishes ?

Then I will put in Pressure Barrel adding prescribed amount of brown sugar - then back in warm for 2nd ferm/carnonation for 3 days ? Then is it back in fridge for a few weeks to clear totally

cheers wherrypuzzled

I just drank the last couple of these from a batch I brewed in Jan. The longer you can leave it to lager in the fridge the better.

Looking back at my notes.

1. Pitched at 18c and waited for 24 hours or so before dropping temp down to 14c
2. After 10 days I raised the temp to 18c for 2 days to rest
3. Cold crashed down to 4c and fined with gelatin for 72 hours.
4. Primed and packaged 12 bottles and left them in a box in the garage until I drank them after about 10 weeks. .
5. The rest went into a Keg that I set at about 13 psi and gassed up for a couple of weeks before disconnecting it and leaving it in the corner of the keezer for about 8 weeks before I tapped it.

Hi Redwulf and thankf for such a comprehensive and understandable reply

I will try to follow the main points as you have outlined - much easier than Coopers own info

Brewing since 72 ish and never done Lager [its for a neighbour] and finding it strange to see fermentation at 15c approx

Will PM you in a few weeks with "results" and many thanks once again .... wherrypuzzled

Hi Redwulf

Followed your menu as above and seems to have turned out well

Forgot to do o.g. but on barrelling brew was totally clear and though I am a Barnsley Bitter type drinker it tastes ok

2nd error after not doing o.g. was probably letting brew go slushy although thermometer [good one] read 4c in Fridge.

Cheers again ... wherrypuzzled

Hi Redwulf

Followed your menu as above and seems to have turned out well

Forgot to do o.g. but on barrelling brew was totally clear and though I am a Barnsley Bitter type drinker it tastes ok

2nd error after not doing o.g. was probably letting brew go slushy although thermometer [good one] read 4c in Fridge.

Cheers again ... wherrypuzzled

Excellent, glad it worked out.

Latest posts

Back