Coopers Stout OG waaaay off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if your Coopers kit is made up to 23 litres with 500g each of dextrose and spray malt the calculated OG is 1.037
My fermentables were the 500g dark spray malt, 150g treacle and in the 1kg of BE2 was 500g dextrose and 250g light spray malt, so a bit over the 1.037 but not quite as high as 1.080?

My fermentables were the 500g dark spray malt, 150g treacle and in the 1kg of BE2 was 500g dextrose and 250g light spray malt, so a bit over the 1.037 but not quite as high as 1.080?
Your brew is about 1.050 as I said earlier. Because you have some maltodextrin in there which is unfermentable the FG will end up slightly higher than had all the sugars been fermentable (say 1.013 rather than 1.010).
Edit ....the FG will end up slightly higher not the OG

Last edited:
One tip I found useful when stirring kits is to measure the SG and then give it another good stir and see if the SG goes up. When all the gloop is dissolved the SG will not keep increasing. It's always best to get the malt extract fully dissolved in very hot water before topping up with cold. Also, when stirring go along the bottom of the FV and then quickly lift the stirrer out to see if there is any sticky stuff on its bottom.

I'll do all these things next brew, in about three weeks. Thanks for all the help 👍

When you use beer enhancer or spray malt it's meant to replace the sugar, not add to it! You can't stop fermentation early as it would be sickly sweet. So serve it in small glasses!!!

Having done a few of these with this high OG, I can tell you that it won't be sickly sweet. But it will be much like a creeping snail when it comes to drinking it. You won't notice the high alcohol content until you've muddled your wits ;)

So this stout has had 2 weeks in the FV, 2 weeks carbonating and a further 5 weeks conditioning. Just tried it and it still has a homebrew smell, but it tastes pretty good. Very strong and bitter, good head which stays, I'm going to leave it for another few weeks and try again but overall I'm pleased with it

Back