Coopers Wheat Beer Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearlfisher

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made this adding a can of Cooper's Wheat extract to it.

I kegged it on the 18th August .

Tried some last night , it's almost crystal clear , not what I expected. It's quite sweet which is good as I don't like too much bitterness in a beer.
Lots of fizz from the secondary fermentation but not much head retention as yet.
Looking forward to see how it develops.

Made this twice.

The first time I made it acording to instructions as I was still learning and used the muntons beer enhancer. I did slightly overprime so the beer was slightly more fizzing than I wanted. However it was a lovly drink after a few weeks and the wife and myself thourghly enjoyed it and it dissappeared very quickly

Made a second batch about a month and half ago with about 50/50 brewing sugar and DME. It has been bottled just under 3 weeks and I have been taking regular samples ( just to quality check :whistle: ) and passed some to my friends :drunk: . Again is a very nice pint. Is slightly darker than the previous brew and was primed less than my first. It is very nice to drink and has plenty of life. It doesn't keep a head this time but think this may be a combination less priming sugar as well as the age.

So I would recommend this kit :thumb: and will try again and may dry hop the 3 time around.

:drink:

Brewed this with 1kg of wheat malt extract and it was great, all got drank in about 3 weeks, simply a great tasting session beer

This is currently fermenting in my garage. Was the first beer I've made in best part of 20 years. So essentially is a new thing for me. Looks good so far. Smell and colour looks about right for a wheat beer. Will be interested to see how it develops.

This was 1 of my first beers brewed , very poor i thought and nothing like a wheat beer (i do ag now) but maybe i messed this up , others seem to like it here :shock:

Would agree Pitsy. Maybe not a totally authentic wheat beer. :thumb:

But still found it drinkable and a relativly quick n easy kit to do.
:cheers:

Bottled this 2 weeks ago and have decided to try it. I used carbonation drops in every bottle apart from 2 where I used a spoon of Tate and lyle granulated sugar. I have just tried a bottle
Of each.

The first bottle was the sugar which was very well carbonated, had a good head which it retained until I finished the glass. Tasted very nice. If anything possibly a little too gassy.

The second bottle with the carbonation drop was not as gassy, did not have a very good head. The head it did have soon disappeared. A very nice pint though.

So far very enjoyable and am looking forward to see how this matures.

Based on these reviews, this seemed to be worth a punt as I've enjoyed many of the other Coopers kit. So on it went yesterday, with the zest of 5 large oranges and some crushed coriander seeds boiled up, for an added twist. Can't wait to try this :thumb:

CoopersWheatBeersmall.jpg

I did this kit following coopers instructions and found it watery and also clear like a lager for a wheat beer kit I would recommend brupaks west riding wheat it's fantastic!

Mark-h said:
I did this kit following coopers instructions and found it watery and also clear like a lager for a wheat beer kit I would recommend brupaks west riding wheat it's fantastic!

I agree with it being unusually clear for a wheat beer , but not at all watery as I made it with a can of Cooper's Malt Extract added.

I had previously made the West Riding but had to throw it away , I'd brewed it short due to an incorrectly calibrated FV and had added 2 jars of honey.
It had more of a wheat beer look and smelled ok ,but tasted like a mixture of very dry champagne and Andrews Liver Salts. :sick:

Might have another go at one and brew it exactly to instructions.

Pearlfisher said:
Mark-h said:

I agree with it being unusually clear for a wheat beer , but not at all watery as I made it with a can of Cooper's Malt Extract added.

I had previously made the West Riding but had to throw it away , I'd brewed it short due to an incorrectly calibrated FV and had added 2 jars of honey.
It had more of a wheat beer look and smelled ok ,but tasted like a mixture of very dry champagne and Andrews Liver Salts. :sick:

Might have another go at one and brew it exactly to instructions.

I found it tastes like erdinger or hoegarden just made it for 2nd time both times made to brupaks instructions and both came out really well

I used 1kg wheat malt extract and really liked it. It wasnt muntons though.

I made this & it tasted very good. Just got another one, I don't think you can go wrong with Coopers kits.

darrellm said:
Based on these reviews, this seemed to be worth a punt as I've enjoyed many of the other Coopers kit. So on it went yesterday, with the zest of 5 large oranges and some crushed coriander seeds boiled up, for an added twist. Can't wait to try this :thumb:

CoopersWheatBeersmall.jpg

Im going to get this on this evening. :grin:

First sample last night. Brewed short to 20L with wheat spraymalt and added in some boiled-up zest of 5 oranges and crushed coriander seeds. Didn't go too low and was stuck at 1014 after 9 days (despite giving it a stir) so I bottled it.

First impressions - not quite what I was expecting (not like a lot of the commercial wheat beers I've sampled), but not bad at all. The orange and coriander are just about there in the background, some fizz and no head but I haven't really left it long enough, so we'll see if it gets better / more distinctive over the next few weeks. Not a million miles from the taste of Coopers Cerveza or Canadian Blonde IMHO.

Latest posts

Back