Coriander in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a bit if coriander and find more than just enough and it'll taste like soap..but never put it in beer..I don't think I would.

Sounds like you're one of the ~1 in 6 people that taste coriander as "soapy", which has been linked to a mutation in the OR6A2 gene.

Coriander seeds share a lot of the same terpenols as hops, C-hops in particular and it may be no coincidence that some people find varieties like Centennial to be "soapy".

In general I think the problem with adding herb leaves is that you can need to add quite a lot to get the flavour, and then you end up getting a lot of those green "chlorophyll"-y kind of flavours because there's so much green matter in there.

Incognito coriander might be a different matter....

You'll find a recipe that you can use coriander her. I've brewed the wheat beer but haven't tried the addions (at the end of the document) yet, I'm assuming this is similar to Hoegarden 👌🏻

Attachments

• Wheat-Beer-4.5L-converted (1).pdf
    147.9 KB · Views: 86
Sounds like you're one of the ~1 in 6 people that taste coriander as "soapy", which has been linked to a mutation in the OR6A2 gene.

Coriander seeds share a lot of the same terpenols as hops, C-hops in particular and it may be no coincidence that some people find varieties like Centennial to be "soapy".

In general I think the problem with adding herb leaves is that you can need to add quite a lot to get the flavour, and then you end up getting a lot of those green "chlorophyll"-y kind of flavours because there's so much green matter in there.

Incognito coriander might be a different matter....
Smaller amounts of leaf are fine,stalks are fine...tons of leaves...soapy.

I'd be more inclined to say the leaf is a herb, whether fresjh or dried; and the seed is a spice, whether whole or ground. (oops - just seen JimB said the same)

And I'd not be inclined to put either in my beer. Same applies to fruit in beers. Got my son few bottes of Belgian Kriek etc at his birthday but neither of us really saw the point of taking a nice beer and flooding it with sour cherry.
Sorry,I meant the seeds dried..is spice.

Back